Relative deck name in "Deck Override..."

When I use "Deck Override..." option, I usually put the cards into subdecks of the deck the parent note is created in. For example, I have "Default:English" deck which contains many types of notes and cards that I learn, and I use "Deck Override..." for one card template to place them in "Default:English::My pronunciation" deck.

I also have a deck named "Frozen::English" where I imported huge amount of notes from shared collections. I move the cards for a specific English word from "Frozen::English" to "Default::English" and/or "Default::English::Pronunciation" as soon as I decide to learn those specific cards.

Recently I imported a folder of thousands of sound files with pronunciation of English words into "Frozen::English" deck assigning them to my custom note type. I expected all the cards of imported notes to stay in "Frozen::English" deck, but because of "Deck override..." option in that note type, the pronunciation cards where placed in "Default::English::My pronunciation" deck on the media import.

I suggest adding a possibility to use a relative deck name in "Deck Override..." , so the cards would go to a specified subdeck of the deck, that parent note is created in. So if the notes were imported to Frozen::English their pronunciation cards would go to "Frozen:English::My pronunciation" and when I added the notes manually into "Default:English", their pronunciation cards would go to "Default:English::My pronunciation".
One way to implement it is to use "::My pronunciation" syntax, another way is to have a separate checkbox "relative deck name"

3 Likes

This is needed indeed. I am sure not so many users requested it because they just didn’t get this deep in the complexity of Anki. But this is what makes Anki strong!

In my case I have 14 chapters of study book where each chapter has a set new words. Then I have random texts from teacher to practice and each new one come with set of words. I also have some other plans for decks in mind. This is kind of a common scheme for many scenarios.

So for every new chapter, or new text from a teacher I create 4 sub-decks:

1. Learning (memorising words translations, straight and reverted)
  2. Audition (listening audio in foreign language)
  3. Reading (reading glyphs of foreign language)
  4. Typing (typing glyphs of foreign language using keyboard)

And every time I import TSV sheet I want new set of entries to be parsed and forwarded to something like:

Chapter 8
⌙ $this::Learning
⌙ $this::Audition
⌙ $this::Reading
⌙ $this::Typing

“Once in the Moscow” Story

Gym related words

So yeah, I am kindly ask you to make it relative :pleading_face:
With a static targeted deck it doesn’t make much sense. It will work only in a simplest case.

1 Like

This is not practical at the moment, as the target deck is stored as an id, not text. Dividing content by chapters is not really recommended - I’d recommend you consider tagging the chapter instead, and then you don’t have to deal so many separate decks.

Thanks for the answer.

Tags make sense. I see it works well with Filtered Decks as well.

But even if it’s done via tags I still don’t see how I can share it. For example I need a set of card for study book to share with classmates, sets for random texts and so on. And it is gotta be a deck in order to share it, right?

If you’re adding the cards in chapter order, they will be introduced in that order. If you’re jumping between different chapters when adding the cards, you could either reposition the cards in the Browse screen, or get your users to suspend/unsuspend based on tags.