Reduce Motion affecting card templates: Bug or intentional?

Hey all,

Version 2.1.61 has the Reduce Motion option enabled by default, which seems to also disable any custom transition CSS in card templates. As a small example:

Front:

{{Front}}
<div id="test">Hello world!</div> <!-- Hovering over this should have a 1s transition time, but is instantly animated when "Reduce Motion" is enabled-->

Back:

{{FrontSide}}

<hr id=answer>

{{Back}}

Styling:

.card {
    font-family: arial;
    font-size: 20px;
    text-align: center;
    color: black;
    background-color: white;
}

#test {
  transition: 1s;
}

#test:hover {
  opacity: 0.2;
}

Now that this option is enabled by default, this may affect certain card templates, and I was wondering if these visual changes in the templates are intentional or not. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@kleinerpirat should be able to tell you whether this was intentional or an unintended side-effect. I’d like for us to switch the default back in the future; it’s on for now to work around a bug that was causing some users to not see a bottom bar

A main window rework I’ve been working on for the past months will fix these issues in two ways:

1. The toolbar webviews are merged with the main webview, along with other formerly separate webviews. This will definitely fix any issue that lead to the reduce motion default setting.
  2. The reviewer will also be integrated to the main webview, probably in form of an iframe (WIP). This should properly isolate the CSS/JS from any outside influence and vice versa.
5 Likes

The toolbar webviews are merged with the main webview, along with other formerly separate webviews. This will definitely fix any issue that lead to the reduce motion default setting.

I’m really looking forward to this, and am thankful you have been working on it. I’m guessing this will affect Minimalist Mode having some influence on card styling as well? Or is that an intended feature of the Distractions options?

When I made the global styling changes, I saw the effects they had on the reviewer as a positive side-effect (e.g. for buttons), but since many people apply their own styles, it’s probably better if the reviewer is properly sandboxed and remains unaffected by Anki Desktop global CSS.

So yes, it’s an unintentional side-effect and will be fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds good! Echoing jojo’s response, always appreciate your hard work!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.