Recommendation for learning longer passages?

I’ve used Anki to learn “small” things, but I’m wondering if there are recommendations for learning longer text passages. For example, I thought I would try using a cloze for this, but actually using it doesn’t “feel” as productive as Anki usually does. Here’s an example of what I tried:

Question 1: What is our only hope in life and death?

{{c1::That we are not our own}} but {{c2::belong, body and soul, both in life and death}}, {{c3::to God and to our Savior Jesus Christ}}.

I thought that might present cards that let me cycle through all three options quickly in the same session, but instead I got c1 a couple of times and that was it for the day.

Any thoughts on a better approach for a longer passage like this? Or am I just trying to use SRS in a way that doesn’t really fit the tool?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

It is a well-known disadvantage of clozes that they can be completed while learning in Anki, but the content is rather difficult to recall outside the learning context. Try a regular question-answer style and make your prompt more concrete „(according to …)“

I’m not sure I understand why you want to see the three cards in the same session. When the first one shows up, you see this:

[…] but belong, body and soul, both in life and death, to God and to our Savior Jesus Christ.

When the other two show up, you don’t check if you remember what you’ve learnt some time ago but what you just read.

Personally I use the method you describe to learn longer texts, checking “bury siblings” in the options of the deck, so that I don’t see the same day different cards created from the same note, and it seems to work well :slight_smile:.

Maybe you want to unbury siblings:

The Incremental Reveal card type might have some value as well, but in that case, it would not only be in the same session it would be in the same card review. It lets you reveal clozes one at a time in any order:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1874787050

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.