No syncing (Windows)

Windows 10 Pro 64
Anki ⁨2.1.49 (dc80804a)⁩
Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2

Shortly after entering the login/password for syncing, the applications exits without any messages. No messages in the console too. After the restart, syncing is still not enabled, login/password is not saved.

Any suggestions about debugging this? Supposedly, this is Python networking issue, not Anki issue. I’ve found similar reports on this forum, and the comments suggest that a conflict with another software is the possible reason. But how to figure out what’s the conflict? Thanks.

1 Like

Please try again with the latest Anki release. If it continues to crash, please check the console. Startup Issues - Anki Manual

Just FYI: This trouble is still here, after updating both Windows and Anki (2.1.53 QT6). And as it was said earlier, there’s no additional info in the anki-console at the point of crash.

The issue exists even if the Windows Firewall is turned off completely.

I don’t know how practical this is for you to do, but the most efficient way would be to install Anki on a fresh new Windows computer similar to the one you have, and then progressively trying to install the software you have on you current computer until Anki no longer works. If you’re at ease with quick Windows installations and have some leftover computers, that may be an option.

1 Like

With no clues as to what’s causing it, and no other reports of this issue, I’m afraid you’ll need to experiment to try and figure out the cause. Antivirus/firewall/VPN/proxy and third-party utility tools that modify how windows are shown could be the culprit, and you could try removing them and restarting your computer to see if that helps. If it does not, a Windows reinstall may resolve the problem, but that is fairly involved.

Hello, I agree that this might be a solution. But I’d like to make Anki sync work on this specific computer, and this computer is not mine. It would be good to figure out which software is the cause of the trouble.

I should add that Anki sync works on this computer when it’s restarted in ‘Safe mode with networking support’.

My proposal was more of a desperate debugging measure rather than a “just forget about your old computer” solution. The idea is that you try to recreate the environment of the computer on which Anki doesn’t work step by step, so that when Anki fails you know which software is interfering. That’s because it’s otherwise quite hard to know exactly what is getting in the way (at least, it is for me as I don’t have any Windows experience…)