MPV | Mplayer Required on ANKI

Hello All,
I am sure there is already a thread on the topic I am writing about but I hoped another one would help fellow Anki users.

I am trying to download a player for my audio and video files (various formats…MP3, MP3, FLV, etc). When I upload an audio or video file onto my cards and try to play it, I get the following error:

Sound and video on cards will not function until MPV or MPLAYER is installed.

So I am missing a player on my Anki platform. I have researched some blogs but I cannot get a proper answer.

Specs:
Macbook: Pro 2011 with Intel i5
Anki: Version 2.1.23 (de9543ff)
Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.13.1 PyQt 5.14.1

Anyone know how I can install a simple MPV or MPLAYER as an add-on to my ANKI so I can watch my videos and listen to my audio files?

Help is always appreciated and will be paid forward.

Hi, you are using a very old built. The bundled mpv is targetting newer processors. You will find this post useful.

Hi there, Thanks for the response. So I read the thread. An ddid up to:

1 Posted by Damien Elmes on Mar 14, 2019 @ 08:27 PM

Anki uses a bundled copy of mpv, and there should be no need to install extra software on a Mac. It seems the bundled version is failing to start on your computer for some reason, which is resulting in a misleading suggestion to install mpv.

Please use the magnifying glass in the top right of your screen to start Terminal.app, then type the following in and hit enter (or copy&paste)

/Applications/Anki.app/Contents/Resources/audio/mpv

Please copy and paste the resulting output, as it may reveal why mpv is failing to run. If it is displaying help output and not what looks like an error, please also try paste the above line in, but instead of hitting enter, press space after the mpv part, then drag an mp3 file from Finder into the terminal window, and hit enter. Does the sound play? If not, what do you see?

Once I did that, the file plays via Terminal. But how do I get it to play in Anki. Whats next?

How do I use the old Anki? Can I extract the MPV player from old ANKI version and install on my present ANKI version?

4 Posted by Damien Elmes on Mar 15, 2019 @ 08:25 PM

I suspect the bundled mpv was compiled to target newer processors. Please give Anki 2.0.52 a go, as it uses an older audio player - mplayer. If that works for you, I’ll look at bundling mplayer instead of mpv in the alternate build in the future.

That change has already been made - please visit the Anki website and download the alternate version which is directly below the normal download.

I will try that Damien. Do I lose any functionality or the content material I have created by trying the alternate version?

Do I just download the alternate version and do a sync?

They access the same data, so no special action is required to switch between them - just download the alternate version, drag it to your Applications, and you should be good to go.