Maximum of 100 tags selection? How is this a thing on the mobile app

I am using anki on Ipad, and i get the message of “A maximum of 100 tags can be selected. Listing the tags you want instead of the ones you dont want is usually simpler, and there is not need to child tags if you have selected a parent tags”…Is there any way to go around this, usually on my friends computer they can selected as many as they want. I do all anki on the mobile app and I am unable to select the tags I need as I advance the deck. Please Help?

Two ways to go around this are mentioned in the message you’ve included. Another one would be to somehow mark the according cards first in the browser, then create a filtered deck with this single tag or flag.
The restriction exists on Anki desktop as well, maybe your friend is using some older version. The reason is that the SQL backend cannot handle queries of arbitrary length. I think the limit is 500 (but I can be wrong), which is for all expression nodes though, not only tags.

3 Likes

This is correct, although the limit appears to be 1,000 ‘search actions’ based on the error message below. I get around it by splitting my search into 17,000-ish character chunks.

DbError { info: “SqliteFailure(Error { code: Unknown, extended_code: 1 }, Some(“Expression tree is too large (maximum depth 1000)”))”, kind: Other }

2 Likes