Link cards/notes and preview them in extra window [Official thread]

Hello! Some cards have a CIDD of 15 bits, but Anki seems to be able to read only the first 13 bits, making it impossible to use. What should I do?

@renfan: “cidd” is a string of characters I chose as a pretty unique prefix so that I can e.g. easily search for my cusotm links. It’s derived from “cid” which stands for “card id”. Each note has a unique id that Anki assigns to it. It’s a 13digit string (creation time of the card in epoch time in milliseconds). So cids made by Anki will be 13 digits for the coming years (= ~ two centuries).

Some add-ons create/manipulate cids and in theor if you had a buggy add-on you could have a card with a card-id with 15 digits. you could search in your browser for the cid in your screenshot (and the first 13 digits), see Anki Manual

my add-on doesn’t change card-ids, it just reads what you have in the database.

does this help?

OK Thank you for your answer!

Raises error in Anki 2.42

@madapeedikakkaran: thanks for the report. I still use .35 so I just did a quick test in .42 and I haven’t run into an error. I can copy the nid/cid from the browser and when I click nidd/cidd1234567890123 in the reveiwer or editor it works as expected (I get another editor window or a previewer window).

But there’s a good chance I missed something - .41+ chaned a lot. You would help me and all other users of this add-on if you could describe the exact steps I need to take get the error and also publish the error message.

There’s always the problem of add-on conflicts: Does this problem also occur if you have all other add-ons disabled and restarted anki? If it works then it’s an add-on conflict. To identify the other add-on: Enable half of the add-ons, restart and try again. Repeat this until you find the combination of add-ons that doesn’t work so that I can easily reproduce it on my PC so I know where I can start with fixing it. There are about 1000 add-ons so there should be billions of unique add-on combinations so I can’t fix add-on conflicts alone.

Hi. It worked!. I reinstalled the plugin and it worked without glitches. Sorry for bothering you unnecessarily.

Also let me make use of this opportunity to thank you for this wonderful plugin. I use it widely in my cards.

Anki: 2.42

Not working with Anki 2.42 and probably 2.41. Thanks for the addon, it has really changed the way I study language. :slight_smile:

This error occurs when I open the browser, all other addons were disabled.

Error
An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.
If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools > Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.
When you’ve discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue on the add-on support site.
Debug info:
Anki 2.1.42 (8eebfe18) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-03-15 19:17:46

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt\main.py”, line 1067, in onBrowse
File “aqt_init_.py”, line 101, in open
TypeError: init() got an unexpected keyword argument ‘card’

@michaelcward1996: Thanks for the report. I haven’t run into this problem with just my add-on, Anki 2.1.42 on Windows 10 at the moment and it seems to work for other people (see the other posts in this thread form today). To be able to fix a problem I need to reproduce it. This might help many other people.

So I need your help with the following info:

• After disabling all other add-ons: Have you restarted anki. if not restart and try again: Does this change anything?
  • Uninstall my add-on and reinstall it, then restart anki and try again. I’m think that this shouldn’t make a difference but on several occasions people reported and insisted that this made a difference with some add-ons of mine. Does this change anything?
  • also share the debug info that you can get like this: in the main window click on the “Help” menu, then select “About”. In the dialog that opens there’s a button “Copy Debug Info” at the bottom. Click it to get the text into your clipboard. Then share it.

@michaelcward1996 I forgot: If the problems persists describe the exact steps to reproduce the problem: Does this always happen if you open the browser or only if you open it in a certain way.

causes crash on Anki 2.1.43 on Mac, Big Sur.

Crash happens when clicking on the “browse” tab, after starting Anki.
Disabling the add-on restores functionality to browse button.
Enabling add-on makes the error appear again.

Uninstalling and installing again does’t solve the problem.

content of debug window:

Error
An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.
If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools > Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.
When you've discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue on the add-on support site.
Debug info:
Anki 2.1.43 (0fbae6bc) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Mac 10.16
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-04-15 13:45:36

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "aqt/webview.py", line 36, in cmd
File "aqt/webview.py", line 135, in _onCmd
File "aqt/webview.py", line 580, in _onBridgeCmd
File "aqt/toolbar.py", line 169, in _linkHandler
File "aqt/toolbar.py", line 187, in _browseLinkHandler
File "aqt/main.py", line 1067, in onBrowse
File "aqt/ **init** .py", line 101, in open
TypeError: **init** () got an unexpected keyword argument 'card'

You need to enable or disable one plugin at a time to figure out which one is malfunctioning.

Solved.

There was a conflict with a previous version of Advanced Browser (code 874215009).
Upgrading Advanced Browser solved the problem.

@khs thanks.

Hi ,
personnaly if it wasn’t for this addon I probably wouldn’t have continued to use anki , as it makes me link all my cards together and helps me focus on the big picture not just details out of context so every time I make a link of a card inside another I would label the linked card as suspended so It doesn’t appear in my review out of context
but than the reviewed linked cards that appear in an extra preview window are not considered reviewed by the heatmap
I know this is not such a big deal but is there a way it can be counted ??
thank you

@whocares: At the moment it’s not possible. Add-ons can do a lot so it should be possible. But Anki has changed a lot internally recently so it’s probably not a quick fix for me. I have added this to my todo list but this list is already long and recently I have very little time for add-on development.

It’s flattering that my add-on is so important for you but I’d strongly advice against relying too much on add-ons: These are made by third parties and often they are abandoned after some time. Anki will be around in two years but who knows what I’m doing then. I plan to support my add-on but plans …

People use different methods to learn the big picture with Anki. Some people use longer cards, other people have multiple short cards with different wording and angles about the same and related things. If these ideas don’t work for you people on reddit have discussed all kinds of methods to have multiple answers on one card and unveil them one by one - e.g. by using multiple hint fields or some custom javascript. There are also solutions for clozes that if you have multiple c1 in one note you can unveil them one after another in an answer. For many people the big picture problem with Anki can be solved.

I’d strongly recommend to further try with SRS, especially with Anki. I found this link from the bottom of the anki manual very useful: " Michael Nielsen has written a thorough piece about long term memory and how he uses Anki."

2 Likes

first of all thank you so much for making this addon you have no idea how much it helped , and for the methods you mentioned I already tried a couple of them but that did not work for me it made me always feel like something is missing and out of context, but with the linked cards / notes ( + suspending the linked cards ) it’s like opening a drawer of information inside another inside another … so I do not only remember one detail but all the information before and after and so on.
If god forbid a time comes when your addon is no longer compatible with an anki version , I probably would not keep using anki because I can not deal with scattered details as my biggest aim is to be oriented and organised.
thank you once again for your time , I will definetly read the article :smiley:

@whocares : Hopefully Anki will support studying in a fixed order within the next one or two years. This is a popular request and the Anki developer doesn’t seem to be opposed, see Anki 2.1.45 Beta - #69 by dae which is an answer to this question Anki 2.1.45 Beta - #41 by basiskarten . This should be useful for you, too.

Spaced Repetition and active recall testing are great and imo much more important than to only use atomic cards. So use whatever works for you. I’m mostly advocating to experiment. Spaced Repetition Software is useful for most people for years so experimenting for some time in the beginning offers a good cost benefit ratio. The good thing about Anki is that it’s popular, it’s been around a long time and will be around for a long time and it’s pretty flexible so that you can adjust it to your needs - at least more than most other software where usually the answer is “doesn’t work change your workflow”.

with hint fields I meant this Field Replacements - Anki Manual Some people actually have fields like Question1, Answer1, Question2, Answer2 in their NOTE and in their card template they have added all these fields to the back of one card and all the answers are set as hints (that are hidden until you click them).

1 Like

Just a quick addition to this thread (sorry, didn’t read it all): With custom decks it is already possible to study due cards in the order of creation. Check this out:

💡 Fällige Karten nach Erstelldatum sortiert wiederholen - YouTube (in German, but pretty self explanatory)

Also please make sure you let Damien know that you would also be interested in this idea. It would be pretty easy to implement this natively in the new deck options menu.

Hello, first of all, I would like to say that I really like the add-on, it is an essential piece in my workflow to connect more complex information, I have some suggestions that I will present from the simplest to the most complex ones that I would find very interesting to be implemented (I’m not a programmer and I have no idea of ​​the complexity of this so I apologize in advance if I write any nonsense):

a) possibility of making the CID invisible inside some piece of text as if it were a hyperlink (I tried to use it with the Add Hyperlink - AnkiWeb, but it didn’t work).

b) besides being able to reference the CID and the NID, some other acronym that is the note (more for cloze cards).

c) instead of just copying the numbers in the browser, open some search window or use the support in another add-on to present a CID with the possibility of pasting in the add cards window (like Searching, PDF Reading & Note-Taking in Add Dialog - AnkiWeb).

d) compatibility with AnkiDroid;

e) hover over and reveal the referenced note.

Thanks for the great add-on.

@radorion: Thanks for your kind words about my add-on.

about your ideas:

ad a): seeing a reference like nidd0123456789012 is ugly. But I deliberately use this approach to make the links future proof and more independent from my add-on: E.g. there’s a similar add-on that hides the links in hyperlinks but for some unknown reason a component that Anki builds on removes these hyperlinks when you paste them elsewhere - as long as you are in windows, see Copy and paste (likely user specific issue) · Issue #5 · Arthur-Milchior/anki-link-to-open-browser · GitHub There’s also an abandoned add-on for Anki 2.0: all hyperlinks are lost because it has never been updated to 2.1, GitHub - glutanimate/internal-references: Internal References Add-on for Anki In contrast with the way my add-on works you can always copy the numbers and paste them in a browser to search or use a sight modification of an add-on like “search selected text in the browser”.

ad c) I thought about a filter menu as in my BetterSearch add-on but this would only work (as far as I see) if e.g. all my notes had a special field like “title”. But I have spread the relevant info over many different fields in my notes. So I need to look at the notes and then I can just use the browser. But I’m open for good suggestions. Maybe if you have more detail. But keep in mind that at the moment my time is very limited so I can’t say if and when I’d implement an extra search window.

ad d) at the moment add-ons don’t work on mobile. So AnkiDroid would have to built-in such a change but my add-on is not popular enough for this. The anki creators are thinking about and very slowly working towards a new add-on api that in the end will also work on mobile. But this might be in one or two years - that’s just an impression of someone who’s not directly involved in any programming or planning about anki - I just see some changes in the code and draw my conclusions.

ad e) would be nice. but my add-on was not designed for this. so it’s much work and won’t come in the coming months. maybe once glutanimate has updates his internal references I can send him a small commit so that his add-on also works with nidd/cidd strings?

@ijgnd
Addon seems to be incompatible with edit field during review when it wasn’t previously.