We have a situation where 50 cards—the entire new cards for a single day—are showing up as new cards even though they show the study history from the day they were learned. For example, here is the info screen of one of the problem cards:
Notice the discrepancy between the review count (0) and the record of reviews, along with time spent. This happened to all 50 cards that were learned on that day, so I think something happened that we weren’t expecting. I will try to recount what we did as best as I can recall.
First, note that we were using desktop 2.1.50 beta 5 (so perhaps a beta issue?) when we added and did the study on these cards. We needed to add new cards to keep up with our schedule, but we were being limited by the maximum daily review limit. We did not want to increase the review limit because then the increase would be taken up by past due reviews, so instead I added the new cards for that day by way of custom study, set up this way:
(I would have rather used “Increase today’s new card limit” as what seemed the obvious choice, but it does not add new cards in this case because the review limit still means no new cards would be added.)
We studied all of the new cards in that filtered deck, then normally I would just delete the filtered deck right after the study so they go back to their main deck. As far as I know that had been working fine on previous days. This time, I think I forgot to delete the filtered deck right after the study, and I noticed it and deleted the filtered deck on the next day, and if I remember correctly, I did that on an iPad. If so, then it might be relevant that that iPad is running a release version, not the beta, of AnkiMobile.
In any case, I did not notice anything unusual at the time I deleted the deck, and my daughter worked through the reviews scheduled for the day. And only now, on the second day since the 50 were learned, have I noticed that they are all new again.
So I am posting for two purposes: first, to report that I suspect that something went wrong such that the learning cards from the filtered deck lost their learning status when the filtered deck was deleted. Possibly the interchange between beta 5 on desktop and release on iPad is related. Or possibly, I have not understood something, as I have never used filtered decks before.
The other purpose in my writing is to ask what is the best way we can repair the damage. This kind of use of Anki is not my usual habit. Normally, I approach it as a long-term study method where there is no target end date and I can rely on the algorithm to just guide me along a sane study schedule. Here, we have a definite end date, and through an unfortunate misunderstanding on timing, we have a limited time to study a large number of cards. So we have to study all the cards as best as we are able, and I am also trying to maximize what can be done without pushing my young daughter too hard.
I am hopeful that we can do something to reset the cards to their learning position. For one thing, it may be helpful that there is a single tag associated with all of these cards and only these cards, so maybe there is some bit of code that we can target these cards with in the debug console. The tag is Joshua_ch22 and all of them should be on the 1d learning step in a learning schedule of 1m 10m 1d 2d 4d with what should have been 2022-03-06 as the due date.
For the moment, I will suspend these cards until I can hear something, so my daughter can continue with her other reviews.