Image Occlusion Enhanced [Official Support Thread]

I have no clue about the root of the problem and the technical side of it, but I had the same problem and were able to troubleshoot it, by putting the .jpg image in photoshop and export it as a .png file… Maybe that fixes your problem too.

It looks like there’ve been no updates for the “Image Occlusion Enhanced” add-on [1374772155] since April/2020 [Alpha (2.1.24)]. Likewise, the Glutanimate (sponsored) Patreon site seems to have had no (master) posts since about the same time. There’s some activity on GitHub, but (apparently) no author Commits since June/2020 :thinking:

And there’s not much OP action on this (official) forum /thread either. So it might be tempting to assume that the project is on Hiatus for some reason. As of this post, Anki is now running v[2.1.38]. So, unfortunately, there may be more difficulties over time, as the Code diverges ~ which is a shame, for all of us who truly appreciate the utility :confused:

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long radio silence.

I hear you, @Marillion. Unfortunately it’s been very tough to find the time to look at support requests. I’m truly sorry about that.

However, from my testing, image occlusion appears to work fine on 2.1.38. The add-on’s interaction surface with Anki’s internals is fairly small, so that should - in theory - make it fairly resistant to bigger breakages. However, there’s always a possibility that things might stop working over time, as things move around and improve under the hood on Anki’s side. Should it come to that, I’ll of course work towards updating the add-on as soon as I can.

Regarding the bug reports above: From what I can tell these look like sporadic issues / issues related to particular set-ups and configurations. Unfortunately these are the types of issues that take a lot of time and back-and-forth to troubleshoot, and I am unable to find the time for that at the moment. I’m really sorry about that, folks.

But here are a few quick suggestions / replies that might help get you on the right track:

(had to limit the @ mentions to 10, otherwise Discourse wouldn’t let me post this message, but hopefully this reaches you, guys)

3 Likes

Regenerating the new template through renaming didn’t work. I didn’t have this before updating anki and IO,now I see the importance of the old proverb “if it ain’t broke,don’t fix it, because glutanimate won’t either”

I would’ve much appreciated if you just said “hey guys, I don’t have time, so I’m not going to work on anything, if you want to use IO use older anki versions because if things go sideways I’m not going to have the time to fix it”

Any chance I can retain my current notes if I revert back to older versions?

Generally speaking: It’s important to note that renaming the note type only works for notes created from that point on, as your older notes still use the old note type. To fix the old notes you either have to transfer them to the new note type, or manually edit the note type, copying over the front template, back template, and styling field.

However, it could be that this is a new regression that, even with the new template installed, still causes the image to flicker. To check whether that’s the case, please try to rename the note type once again, restart Anki, create a new image occlusion card, and review that card specifically to check for flickering.

Should the flickering still be present, then I would highly appreciate it if you could send me a sample deck containing the affected card, so that I can take a closer look. Not sure if attaching .apkg files works on the forums here, but if it doesn’t – feel free to drop me a message at ankiglutanimate@gmail.com.

Any chance I can retain my current notes if I revert back to older versions?

The notes should be backwards-compatible with older Anki versions. As for the add-on and editing newer notes on older versions, it depends on how far you want to go back. But reviewing cards should always work, as the add-on is out of the game as soon as the cards are created (you don’t even need to have IO installed to review IO cards).

I tested out before writing my previous post and the issue was still present in the new note type.
I sent a test deck to your mail.

Glutaminate, thanks so much for this add-on and all the work you’re doing to support it.

I’ve been having a problem where the image enhancer occlusion add-on no longer automatically adds image from my clipboard, but requires me to add it from the files on my desktop. It was working for me previously, but recently stopped. I’ve tried:
-updating anki and the add-on
-disabling all other add-ons
-the above mentioned note type rename
-searching this thread and others for any tips
-trying it on a new profile
-multiple different card types and multiple different decks
but it always redirects me to pick the image from my desktop. As I’ve been using this to take images from a source that doesn’t allow image save as, it’s become increasingly frustrating to screenshot and insert image every time I want to occlude. Any ideas on how I might fix this?

Hi Glutaminate, thanks so much for making this and keeping it up to date!
I was checking if there’s a way to change the shortcut for Toggle Masks from G to a different key. I don’t see it as an option in the config.
I do see in main.py where you have the shortcut defined as ‘G’ , but when I change it to ‘R’, it doesn’t work (neither G nor R).
Let me know if there is any way to change this, otherwise it’s really not a big deal haha.

Thanks again!

The masks created for my images are misaligned. The images are cropped using the windows snipping tool. What can I do to fix this?

[image removed]

Hi, can I ask a beginner question? If I use ‘Hide all, guess one’ and then come to review my cards, there is no way to know which ‘square’ I am actually guessing.

Am I missing something? Perhaps the easiest way is just for me to start from the top left and work down, a logical path? (when drawing the squares) But that won’t work because I may recall some sections better than others :confounded:

The Question Mask is by default red. So you know which one you are asked. Can be changed in the options.

The athor made some pretty good videos to begin with.

Yeah I found that out by accident about 5 days after, thanks for getting back to me

https://forums.ankiweb.net/t/image-occlusion-questions-with-some-issues-recommended-solution-features-feedback/8672

can’t make image occlusion cards on latest anki for mac

Error
An error occurred. Please start Anki while holding down the shift key, which will temporarily disable the add-ons you have installed.
If the issue only occurs when add-ons are enabled, please use the Tools > Add-ons menu item to disable some add-ons and restart Anki, repeating until you discover the add-on that is causing the problem.
When you’ve discovered the add-on that is causing the problem, please report the issue on the add-on support site.
Debug info:
Anki 2.1.37 (6d596c8f) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Mac 10.15.7
Flags: frz=True ao=True sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-03-26 21:49:29
Add-ons possibly involved: ⁨Image Occlusion Enhanced for Anki 21 alpha⁩

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt/webview.py”, line 515, in handler
File “/Users/kunalshah/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/1374772155/add.py”, line 278, in
lambda val, choice=choice, close=close: self._onAddNotesButton(choice, close, val))
File “/Users/kunalshah/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/1374772155/add.py”, line 293, in _onAddNotesButton
r = gen.generateNotes()
File “/Users/kunalshah/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/1374772155/ngen.py”, line 87, in generateNotes
omask_path = self._saveMask(self.new_svg, self.occl_id, “O”)
File “/Users/kunalshah/Library/Application Support/Anki2/addons21/1374772155/ngen.py”, line 399, in _saveMask
mask_file = open(mask_path, ‘wb’)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system: ‘d71ac9e441094f78a2e5830e50e59cad-oa-O.svg’

2 Likes

My OS is mac, anyone know how to deal with this :sob:

Could you clarify what you mean by flashback phenomenon?

Also, if you are facing an issue, it’s best to enlist the entire sequence of steps that led to you encountering the issue. :slight_smile:

I suspect the poster means Anki is crashing when using the add-on. I’ll move this into the add-on support thread.

I’m a new user of IOE, so maybe I’m missing something, but if when in edit mode I:

Select layers

Select a label

Select text within the label

Go to the bottom of the window and click change stroke color

Choose a color and click OK

nothing happens. Text color remains the same. To be clear, these are labels that I entered myself. If it’s relevant, the image is taken from Wikipedia, which identifies it as a .png preview of an .svg file, while IOE shows SVG-Edit in the upper left corner.

Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong? I need to be able to change font color, because black text won’t show up against some of my images’ background colors.

Thanks for any help that you can give!

(cross posted at reddit r/Anki)

Use ‘Change fill color’ instead

I think that I’ve got it working at last. But Change fill color did not change the color of the text. I just added a new card, and for whatever reason it seems to be working for me now. At least for the moment! Fingers crossed for the future, since it’s a great tool.