Image Occlusion Enhanced [Official Support Thread]

Problem description

I downloaded the Image Occlusion add-on. Then, I had some issues with configuration due to deleting some of the fields accidentally. Finally got that to work. Now, when I occlude an image and it adds the cards, the answer (image with no occlusions) is the question. The answer is the occluded image.

Checklist

• I’ve restarted Anki to see if it helps
  • I’ve verified that I use the latest version of the add-on by redownloading it from AnkiWeb
  • I’ve verified that I use the latest version of Anki by checking at https://apps.ankiweb.net#download
  • I’ve tried to disable other add-ons to see if there are any interactions present
  • I’ve checked if anyone else reported this problem before by looking through the issue reports. I also checked to see if there is a section about known issues in the add-on description, documentation, or README.

Information about your Anki set-up

Please open Anki, go to Help → About, click on “Copy Debug Info”, and paste the result between the backticks below (if the button does not appear you are using an older version of Anki 2.1 and will need to update first):

Anki 2.1.30 (06a69c25) Python 3.8.0 Qt 5.14.1 PyQt 5.14.1
    Platform: Windows 10
    Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=1
    Add-ons, last update check: 2020-08-13 22:02:30

===Add-ons (active)===
    (add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])
    Image Occlusion Enhanced for Anki 21 alpha ['1374772155', 2020-04-27T21:21, 'None', '']

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
    (add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

Error message (if any)

When I tried to flip the cards, it says, “Anki couldn’t find the line between the question and answer. Please adjust the template manually to switch the question and answer.”

front template says:
{{#Image}}

{{Image}}

{{/Image}}

back template:
{{#Image}}

{{Answer Mask}}

{{Image}}

Toggle Masks

<div class="io-extra-entry">
    <div class="io-field-descr">Remarks</div>
  </div>

<div class="io-field-descr">Sources</div>
  </div>

<div class="io-field-descr">Extra 1</div>
  </div>

<div class="io-field-descr">Extra 2</div>
  </div>

{{/Image}}

Please find the “Image Occlusion Enhanced” note type under Tools → Manage Note Types, rename it to “Image Occlusion Enhanced Backup”, and then restart Anki. This will prompt the add-on to regenerate the default note type, which should fix the note type and templates

Unfortunately I can’t provide support for custom note types / templates at the moment, as looking into what went wrong on a case-by-case basis would take up too much time. However, if you play around with this a bit and compare the original note type & templates under “Image Occlusion Enhanced” with your changes under “Image Occlusion Enhanced Backup”, I’m optimistic you can fix the issue.

(@dae could you merge this thread into Image Occlusion Enhanced [Official Support Thread] please? [if that’s possible, not sure how Discourse does things])

I want to cry. Thank you so much.
I spent hours trying different things and watching tutorials last night before I decided to post here.

1 Like

Hello,
First of all thanks for your addon, it’s a great one.
I’m studying for a big med exam and I made cards with a lot of textbook pictures (full text).
Do you know how I could edit an image in the back of the card without making any new card ?
I want to highlight some parts of the answer. It’s really a big problem for me and I looked a lot for answers so if you could help be that would be awesome.
Thanks !

Add Mode starts off-center. It opens around the top-left of the image. I’m not sure if this is intended behavior.

Is there a way to make it so that I would not have to scroll (or fit image to canvas) every time to get to the center of the picture? And instead, it would just open the image already centered.

I’m trying to make a bunch of flashcards and the added steps (pressing F and waiting for the computer to center the image, the computer is old so it takes some time) is making it take a little too much time.

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

hello,
thank you for this amazing add-on!
I started using image occlusion a while ago and it was working great, and then a two days ago it just stopped loading the photo I choose.
I tried restarting anki, then restarting wo the add on, then with. I also checked for updates but there were none.

this is how it would look like^^
if anyone could please help it would be much appreciated!

Initially, I was having problems saving the occluded card, and kept getting an error “first field is empty.” So I deleted the first field. Now it says it is incorrectly configured and I don’t know how to reconfigure it so it won’t have the second error anymore.

Thanks !!

I have 2 problems.One is when I copy an image to prepare the card, I have to click fit to canvas every time. I don’t want to do that. The second is every time I press space while studying an IO card, the image on the screen flickers, meaning that it disappears for less than a second and then reappears again. This is really annoying and tiring to the eye in the long run. Any help? (I’m using windows 10, and neither problem occurred before I moved my anki to a different drive and updated it)

Go here for the Image Occlusion support thread.

Concerning the flickering: Maybe you could try moving back the Anki folder to the other drive again (maybe your main drive?). The flickering you see is Anki loading the image. It seems that for some reason Anki now takes longer to load your picture. This might be because you moved Anki and its data to a drive which takes (even slightly) longer to load.

Yeah I moved it to an HDD previously. The problem is, I don’t think I will have the space necessary, especially in the future. Can I somehow install Anki on SSD and use HDD for storage so I will have space?If that’s not possible, if I could solve the problem as it stands right now, I would be much happier. Any advice on automatically fitting the image to canvas?
Edit:Ok I just checked and my current anki decks are in appdata roaming of my SSD. so how can flickering occur if my decks are already stored in my SSD?

Hi Glutanimate!

Thank you for this absolutely amazing add-on!!! Upped my learning effect by a bunch of levels.

To all my other Image Occlusion Enhanced lovers: The shortcut WIN + Shift + S lets you chose a rectangle of your screen to immediately copy it into your clipboard. If you open Image Occlusion Enhanced via Ctrl + Shift + O, you will find the screenshot directly on your flashcard.

I am a full on keyboard nerd as (I play the piano and some RTS games).

I would adore the feature if the button Toogle Masks on the back side of a card would be able to be pressed on by shortcut - for example via Ctrl + Space.

Best regards
Jakob

1 Like

I don’t have the option to “hide one, reveal all” for Anki image occlusion enhanced?

Hi glutanimate!

First off, thank you for this amazing feature. Image occlusion is very helpful.

My midterms are in 4 days and I urgently need a solution for this problem: I watched the med school insider’s YouTube video on tips and tricks for image occlusion and saw that he had 3 options including the “hide one, reveal all” option that I do not have (I only have two options: “Hide All, Guess one” and “Hide One, Guess One”)… I made sure I added the code of the latest version of image occlusion enhanced and did this 5 times with the same results of not having the “hide one, reveal all” option that everyone else seems to have. I’m so stressed pls help!!! Thank you!!!

Hello,

I have tried using this 1374772155 code to add on the Image occlusion. However, when creating a card and I click the image occlusion button I keep getting this message, which prevents me from creating the card.
“Error: Image Occlusion note type not configured properly. Please make sure you did not manually delete or rename any of the default fields.”

I have tried deleting the add on re-adding it, configuring it, restoring defaults, deleted Anki and re-downloaded it - but still no luck.

Please can I have some assistance?

Regards,
Ronak

I just discovered that the former Hide all, reveal all Option seems to be missing in my Alpha - is this a bug, or do you plan to delete that option for the future? :expressionless:

Hi, I downloaded this add-on, but it isn’t working :frowning:
I tried to get it working for a long time but it still doesn’t. I don/t know if it has something to do with the version of anki (i have 2.1. 37) or that i use windows (all the ppl i watched use it had ios)?

I do everything like ppl on the internet but mine isnt working. (even if i follow all the steps from videos) The boxes that should cover the text arent present, but i added them :frowning:

I have no clue about the root of the problem and the technical side of it, but I had the same problem and were able to troubleshoot it, by putting the .jpg image in photoshop and export it as a .png file… Maybe that fixes your problem too.

It looks like there’ve been no updates for the “Image Occlusion Enhanced” add-on [1374772155] since April/2020 [Alpha (2.1.24)]. Likewise, the Glutanimate (sponsored) Patreon site seems to have had no (master) posts since about the same time. There’s some activity on GitHub, but (apparently) no author Commits since June/2020 :thinking:

And there’s not much OP action on this (official) forum /thread either. So it might be tempting to assume that the project is on Hiatus for some reason. As of this post, Anki is now running v[2.1.38]. So, unfortunately, there may be more difficulties over time, as the Code diverges ~ which is a shame, for all of us who truly appreciate the utility :confused:

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long radio silence.

I hear you, @Marillion. Unfortunately it’s been very tough to find the time to look at support requests. I’m truly sorry about that.

However, from my testing, image occlusion appears to work fine on 2.1.38. The add-on’s interaction surface with Anki’s internals is fairly small, so that should - in theory - make it fairly resistant to bigger breakages. However, there’s always a possibility that things might stop working over time, as things move around and improve under the hood on Anki’s side. Should it come to that, I’ll of course work towards updating the add-on as soon as I can.

Regarding the bug reports above: From what I can tell these look like sporadic issues / issues related to particular set-ups and configurations. Unfortunately these are the types of issues that take a lot of time and back-and-forth to troubleshoot, and I am unable to find the time for that at the moment. I’m really sorry about that, folks.

But here are a few quick suggestions / replies that might help get you on the right track:

(had to limit the @ mentions to 10, otherwise Discourse wouldn’t let me post this message, but hopefully this reaches you, guys)

3 Likes

Regenerating the new template through renaming didn’t work. I didn’t have this before updating anki and IO,now I see the importance of the old proverb “if it ain’t broke,don’t fix it, because glutanimate won’t either”

I would’ve much appreciated if you just said “hey guys, I don’t have time, so I’m not going to work on anything, if you want to use IO use older anki versions because if things go sideways I’m not going to have the time to fix it”

Any chance I can retain my current notes if I revert back to older versions?