How to rename tags with Search and Replace Tags

I just installed Search and Replace Tags and I can’t figure out how to get started.

How do you actually use the add-on to rename a tag?

This is the first time I’ve ever tried an add-on, so I’m probably misunderstanding something.

From the instructions:

"Adds a “Replace Tag” dialog to the card browser that prompts for a tag and its replacement and then replaces the tag in all selected notes. Hotkey: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T"

I don’t see a “Replace Tag” dialog in the card browser. Here’s a screenshot of what I see:

Pressing the hotkey here does nothing.

I’m using Anki 2.1.15 installed from the Ubuntu 20 Apt repository.

The add-on should have a a menu item at the top called “Tags”.

It seems it’s not showing in your case for some reason.
The add-on doesn’t work for me in ⁨2.1.39 too (despite the menu item showing). it may need an update from the author.

(This functionality will be available without add-ons in the next stable release by the way)

Also please see Third party Linux packages and source builds are not supported - Frequently Asked Questions

1 Like

@abdo , thanks for your help.

The plugin was last “Updated 2017-08-30”. Perhaps it’s no longer being maintained.

Do you know which version of Anki core will include this functionality?

According to https://changes.ankiweb.net/ the latest version, 2.1.40, does not have it yet.

It was expected to be included in 2.1.40, but some features were postponed to 2.1.41 due to the large number of changes in Anki recently.

Tag renaming is available in the latest beta (2.1.41beta1).

2 Likes