How to delete supertag without deleting subtags?

I have cards that have two tags with a structure like sometag and sometag::subtag. When I delete sometag (via the dialog to delete tags) the longer tag sometag::subtag gets also deleted.

How can I only delete those tags that match exactly sometag?

I donā€™t remember exactly, but I think you can search for cards with only the parent tag with ā€œtag:parentā€ -ā€œtag:parent::*. Then you can delete what shows.

Or try selecting all children tags in sidebar and dragging them out to the top level (I havenā€™t actually tried this)

(Sorry only have my phone right now)

Or search and replace using a RegEx to delete the first part of tag chain (fuzzy on thisā€¦)

As far as I know, you can no longer do that since Anki got native hierarchical tags support.

You may be able to accomplish it with the find&replace feature, by searching for ā€˜^parent tag$ā€™ as a regex and replacing it with nothing.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the help and ideas.

As this happens from time to time in my workflow I was looking for a simple solution to batch edit cards.

For that the regex search and replace dae suggested works best. I had tried that before, but didnā€™t know that there is only one tag per line.

I tried this method, but didnā€™t remove parent tage i opend find and replace menu, enterd name of parent tag, i didnt write anything in the (replace with) field,
What seems to be the problem?

Did you select ā€œtagsā€ in the dropdown?