Help with centering text in lists (like the old versions)

Hello everyone, I have recently updated from 2.1.49 to the most recent Anki version. I’m just having a bit of an issue: In my dear 2.1.49, having lists in a card would default to something like this:

I’ve grabbed this picture from this forum, ironically from someone who wants to change how it looks. But I like this way of displaying lists centered more than the one in current Anki (Qt6):

As you can see lists default to the be aligned to the left, which I find worse than the old centered list. I can solve this problem using formatting buttons easily:

but I’d prefer if lists were centered by default, because manually centering them each card I make (and I use lists a whole lot) would get annoying. I couldn’t figure out a way to do this in the styiling, but I’m awful at it.

If you want the list elements to look like the old versions, try adding the following to the Styling section:

li {
    text-align: center;
}

Alternatively, it might look nicer to center the entire <ul> or <ol> block and left-align the individual items inside that block.

:not(li, ul, ol) > ul,
:not(li, ul, ol) > ol {
    width: fit-content;
    margin: 0 auto;
}

li {
    text-align: start;
}

Screenshot:

Related discussion: Align list items by default · Issue #1801 · ankitects/anki · GitHub

3 Likes

First of all, thanks a lot for your post. The first css line fixes what I was talking about, which is great! I would be satisfied with that alone, but honestly the second styiling you posted, as you said, just looks nicer. But I just can’t get it to work. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong (I’m now using the Qt5 version, by the way). Maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by “left-align the individual items inside that block”. Were you explaining what the code does or there’s something else I have to do?

Nevermind!
I’ve copied some code from the github discussion you linked and that did the trick. The code in question was:

#qa > ul, #qa > ol {
}

It looks like the version of Chromium in QT5 is too old to support a selector list argument of :not(). See selector list argument of :not() | Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc . The following should work in both Qt5 and QT6 versions.

:not(li):not(ul):not(ol) > ul,
:not(li):not(ul):not(ol) > ol {
}

li {
}

Just for your information, this will only work if the <ol> or <ul> element is the top level element of the card. In other words, as mentioned in the discussion above, it will not work if the field is surrounded by a <div>, for example, as shown below:

<div>{{Front}}</div>

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.