Help with a new linking function

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to find a way to link cards from separate decks to each other so that they can share and display the same content.

In practice: I have multiple standard language decks, each containing flashcards with a front (foreign word) and a back (English translation). What I want to achieve is that all foreign translations are shown when I flip the card, not just the English one, so I can simultaneously review the same word in 3+ languages.

Example:

• Front = “huis” // a random Dutch word
  • Back = “house” // its English translation
  • New field = “Haus”, “Maison”, “…” // German, French, … translations

The new field should appear automatically if the corresponding flashcards have already been created.
I believe the translations should be easy to retrieve as they all share the same back (“house”).

I am just a beginner at programming, but this is how I’m thinking to develop an add-on with Python:

• searching for cards that contain the same back field as the current card (“house”);
  • append the corresponding fronts to a list (“Haus”, “Maison”, …);
  • update each card to display the list in the new field during review.

Do you think this is feasible? Am I on the right track? Is there any simpler way to achieve this, if there’s any way at all?
If it’s too complicated I might consider investing some money to develop this feature, but I would love it if I could manage it by myself :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for any tip you might have!

Are you familiar with how card generation works already?

https://docs.ankiweb.net/getting-started.html#notes--fields

Hi! I think I am familiar with the basics of cards generation (at least based on what I read from your link)… or am I missing something that could help me solve this issue? (I.e. retrieving field information from specific cards and displaying it in other cards)

If I’ve understood your intent correctly, you could achieve your goal by creating a notetype that has separate fields for each language, and then adjust the card template to include what you want on the front and back of the card.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand how this is possible.
I need to add to a card some piece of information retrieved from other cards that share the same key words.

For example if I have 3 cards with this structure:
1: front “a”, back “x”
2: front “b”, back “x”
3: front “c”, back “x”

I want all them to be updated and turn into something like this:
1: front “a”, back “x”, “b,c”
2: front “b”, back “x”, “a,c”
3: front “c”, back “x”, “a,b”

By doing so, every time I study one of these three cards I also repeat and connect them with cards sharing the same back information but belonging to different decks.

I speak around 12 languages and my head really can’t absorb any vocabulary anymore unless I found a way to memorise each new word while repeating the other 11 translations.

Hope this is more clear now!

I’m suggesting you make a notetype with a,b,c and x fields, with templates to produce each of the question/answer pairs you want. If you have existing cards that you’re looking to update instead of making new cards, that is more complicated, and you would need to either do some programming, or use ‘set due date’ to give approximate date ranges to the generated cards.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.