Heisig, koohii and anki

I had indicated in a post that I had trouble remembering kanji and I received a response suggesting using the Heisig method, so after some investigation I came across a utube vid on koohii which is similar and free.

In case your not familiar, the idea with Heisig is to not worry about the Japanese word for any kanji but JUST remember the English word for each one (all 2,100+ of them). The koohii website takes that idea and the Kanji (RTK) book and gives you a mechanism to store a story on a flash card for each kanji. You can use other peoples stories or create your own. I also saw/read somewhere that you could do this in six weeks. I am now looking for the kanji for pigs may fly ( 豕 飛 )

Whilst the koohii website is terrific I wasn’t totally happy with the layout of the flash cards so I stuck the first 180 cards into anki and am now very happy with how the cards are presented. There are still a few things I would like to be able to add in the future but it was a start.

There was a bit of effort creating the cards but mostly cut and paste, copy the koohii card list into excel save it as a text file then import the cards into anki then cut and paste the stories.

I have created 6 sub decks of 30 cards, the idea being learn 30 at a time.

I also found mention of an add on koohii2anki and there is an Import Kanji Koohii Progress which is part of the method to move koohii to anki but I couldn’t instantly work it, and, the screen shots show a very chunky font which I didn’t like, so I gave up.

For the future, I would like:

Quick switch between display kanji or English word first .

Create a link between the kanji and a component screen that displays the kanji’s bits much as kanshudo does - I have found that kanshudo https://www.kanshudo.com does a great job of breaking the kanji up into it’s components .