FSRS intervals are too long

Hi, just updated to FSRS today and after optimising my deck, the intervals are too long, especially for learning cards. I’m seeing learning cards with a ‘good’ interval being 1.3 months away. Is there any way to fix this? I’ve attached a picture of the current settings. I want my initial intervals to ideally be 1 day and then 2/3 days.

Thanks!

Increase desired retention.

I tried that but the intervals are still too big, this is with 95% retention!

This is normal behavior for your fsrs parameters. Why they turned out like this is a question. Perhaps you’ve been abusing “Hard”. Use standard weights for fsrs.

I advise you to give the standard parameters a chance. But if this is unacceptable to you, then use the guide.

The first four parameters that you see in the “FSRS parameters” window are the initial stability values.

w0=again
w1=hard
w2=good
w3=easy
# A technical explanation of the FSRS algorithm

1 Like

Yes now that I think of it, I had been abusing ‘hard’ for a while with another deck (I will switch back to only again and good now). Would it be best to use the standard weights for now and re-optimize in a month’s time or leave as standard?

1 Like

Use the default parameters, only use “Again” as a failing grade (Hard is “I recalled it after a lot of hesitation”). The next version of Anki (currently in beta) will have a feature to ignore reviews before a specified date. Then you can use it and optimize parameters for yourself based only on recent data.

2 Likes

I’ve just switched to the default parameters but the intervals for good are varying between 3 days and 5 days, this is still way too high…

Use standard weights. I do not know if a month will be enough. Standard weights are good in themselves, I wouldn’t worry if I were you.

Sorry but how do I set to standard weights? I’ve just left the parameters blank, is this correct?

Yes.

Give the current parameters a chance. If after 3-5 days you do not remember the card, then the next interval will be 1 day. And it won’t gain so quickly.

But if you are sure, then enter these weights:

0.5614, 1.2546, 1.5878, 7.9731, 5.1043, 1.1303, 0.8230, 0.0465, 1.6290, 0.1350, 1.0045, 2.1320, 0.0839, 0.3204, 1.3547, 0.2190, 2.7849

Ahh okay understood, thank you both so much for your help. If it’s not resolved I’ll let you know, but hopefully this works now

1 Like

the new version of anki fsrs has it so you can forget reviews before a certain date. but i am still experiencing this issue

What part of the OP’s issue are you experiencing? What are your parameters (because the other user’s parameters won’t help with answering you)?