Fresh install of Anki 2.1.56 Qt6 crashes on start on Windows 10

I’ve installed Anki 2.1.56 Qt6 on Windows 10. When I start Anki, it will open a window and then crash. Specifically, I get a dialog from Windows that says “anki.exe has stopped working” and I have a button to close the program. A process named “mpv” is left behind that I have to kill manually.

This is a fresh install, so no existing Anki on the computer and no Anki folders in %APPDATA%.

The Qt5 version works fine, but I’d like to figure out why the Qt6 version isn’t working since that’s the future.

Running on Windows 10, and I’ve fully patched before installing and running Anki.

Here’s the debugging output:

c:\Program Files\Anki>.\anki-console.bat
Anki starting...
Initial setup...
Running with temporary Qt5 compatibility shims.
Run with DISABLE_QT5_COMPAT=1 to confirm compatibility with Qt6.
Preparing to run...
Qt info:

GL Type: desktop
Surface Type: OpenGL
Surface Profile: CompatibilityProfile
Surface Version: 4.0
QSG RHI Backend: OpenGL
Using Supported QSG Backend: yes
Using Software Dynamic GL: no
Using Multithreaded OpenGL: yes

Init Parameters:
  *  application-name Anki
  *  browser-subprocess-path C:\Program Files\Anki\lib\PyQt6\Qt6\bin\QtWebEngineProcess.exe
  *  create-default-gl-context
  *  disable-es3-gl-context
  *  disable-features ConsolidatedMovementXY,InstalledApp,BackgroundFetch,WebOTP,WebPayments,WebUSB,PictureInPicture
  *  disable-speech-api
  *  enable-features NetworkServiceInProcess,TracingServiceInProcess
  *  enable-threaded-compositing
  *  in-process-gpu
  *  use-gl desktop

Starting main loop...
Press any key to continue . . .

Here’s a screenshot of the crash:

You could see if changing the video driver makes a difference: Display Issues - Anki Manual

Thanks for the pointer. Running echo software > %APPDATA%\Anki2\gldriver6 fixed the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.