First letter of specific field in hint field automatically?

Hey beautiful community, I have this need to have first letter of my word field in my hint field, is there any way to automate it ?

There was such a code in one of the publicly available decks. The first and last letter of the field.

<div id="term">{{Front}}</div>

<script>
var dashes = document.getElementById("term").innerHTML;
dashes = dashes.slice(0, dashes.length);
document.getElementById("term").innerHTML = dashes[0] + " ";
for (var j = 0; j < dashes.length-2; j++){
document.getElementById("term").innerHTML += "-";
}
document.getElementById("term").innerHTML += " " + dashes[dashes.length - 1];
</script>

If you don’t need the last letter and a hint of the length of the “-” field, then use

<div id="term">{{Front}}</div>

<script>
document.getElementById("term").innerHTML = dashes[0];
</script>
1 Like

Thank you so much for replying, can you please elaborate how exactly i need to use this script, the “front” field name i deduce need to be changed with my target field of Word i want the hint letter, right ? And where i need to assign hint field to contain hint letter ? My field for target word and hint name “Word” and “Hint” respectively.

You don’t need a separate field for this. You just use the {{Word}} field a few times. Leave everything as you have it and just add it to the template

<div id="term">{{Word}}</div>

<script>
</script>

If you want to make a hint out of it {{hint:…}
Hint Fields

{{#Word}}
<a class=hint href="#"
onclick="this.style.display='none';document.getElementById('hint4753594160').style.display='inline-block';return false;">
Show Back</a><div id="hint4753594160" class=hint style="display: none"><div id="term">{{Word}}</div></div>
{{/Word}}

<script>
</script>
1 Like

I tried your first script put it at front side and it showed first letter of word as hint but it was not hidden, and when i review the card the note deleted itself, eventually your latter script worked exactly as i wanted to, hopefully it this script wont be a problem to my whole deck i am little apprehensive because i dont know how exactly these script works but for now everything seems okay and thank you so much for your aid.