[Feature Request] Option for new card gather order that prioritizes subdecks closer to top, but gathers cards randomly from each subdeck

Currently, Anki has only one new card gather option which allows the user to prioritize subdecks that are closer to the top.

This option (Deck) gathers cards from each subdeck are gathered in ascending position. However, I would like it to gather cards from each subdeck randomly (still picking up cards from the highest subdeck first) because this would be more optimal for learning.

Kindly consider adding such an option.

You can select all your new cards in Card browser and select Reposition - Randomise order. Then, you need not worry with the ascending order.

I know that I can do this. But, there is a problem. I create new cards every day. So, I would have to do this every day.

I am looking for a way to avoid doing this every day.

You can set New cards in random order in the deck settings. Then, newly added cards are randomised too.

This still has a problem. When you have a large number of new cards and you do some of them, the new cards that you will subsequently create will statistically have a higher chance of being given a smaller position.

There is a reason why Anki suggests that with V3 scheduler, it is best to set the new card order to be in order of creation and to adjust the card gather order instead.

@dae
What is your opinion regarding this feature request?

I haven’t seen a large demand for it at this time I’m afraid.

Would the developers have a relook on this feature request?

Let me also share my use case to make it more convincing.
I have arranged my decks in the order of priority.

• If I am short on time, I do a small number of new cards and I want these cards to be from the high-priority decks.
  • If I have sufficient time, I do all the new cards that Anki shows me (based on my new cards per day setting).

In the current version of Anki, the only way to do this is to use the “Deck” new card gather option. But, this causes Anki to show the cards in the order of their “position”.

Learning is more optimal when the cards are shown randomly. So, I have to reposition all the new cards every day to ensure that Anki shows the cards in a random order.

This daily repositioning of the cards could be avoided if there is an option that prioritizes subdecks closer to top, but gathers cards randomly from each subdeck.

You should already be able to approximate this by gathering by deck and using a random sort order. When you want to prioritize the earlier decks, you can set a one-day top-level new limit that the earlier decks will exceed, and the later decks will not have cards introduced that day.

This solution would work when I know in advance about how many cards I can do on that day.

But, in my case, I get to know how much time I would get for Anki only as the day progresses (and not in advance).

Edit:

Also, more importantly, with the method that you suggested, the cards would still be gathered in the order of their position. This means that there is a high chance that the new cards I would see on any particular day would have been created on the same day and would be related to similar topics.

I will give it some thought.

@dae, a gentle reminder in case you had forgotten about this.

I have a reminder scheduled for a few weeks time - I have my hands full at the moment.

1 Like

I’m still pressed for time at the moment, but haven’t forgotten about this.

1 Like

This is in Anki 23.10 Beta 1

I installed the beta release but I can’t find the new option.

Sorry, I forgot to add it to the UI :sweat_smile: Will be in the next beta.

1 Like