Error when creating basic-abc36 notes

So whenever I try to add a new basic card (it’s set to basic-abc36) by default on the latest version of Anki, I get an error. I tried to open anki with addons disabled as the error message instructed, and then it just told me to optimize the database, failing that, I should post about my issue here, which I am doing now. See below:

Error
An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.
If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
Anki 2.1.40 (cf446733) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-07-12 17:13:36

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt\webview.py”, line 515, in handler
File “aqt\editor.py”, line 509, in
File “aqt\addcards.py”, line 191, in _addCards
File “aqt\editor.py”, line 625, in saveAddModeVars
File “anki\models.py”, line 93, in save
File “anki\models.py”, line 237, in update
File “anki\rsbackend_gen.py”, line 422, in add_or_update_notetype
File “anki\rsbackend.py”, line 256, in _run_command
anki.rsbackend.TemplateError: Card template ⁨1⁩ has a problem.

I don’t know why this issue came to be. I use anki on my desktop and my mobile and sync between them. Recently (a week or 2 ago) I noticed that some of the newest cards I created were corrupted when I was reviewing them. If I checked out the card in the browse menu, they would look fine. But when it was time to actually review them, there was a bunch of jumbled letters and information about missing parts of the card. That was on Android mobile. I think I might have synchronized whatever issue came up in the mobile, so now I’m having it on the desktop as well. The error above says there is an issue with card template 1 anyway. So how do I fix it? I’ve already restarted and reinstalled anki, including downgrading to the previous version, to no avail. I checked out a similar issue here Error when adding a new note - Anki Desktop - Anki Forums (ankiweb.net) but for me, I still can’t add the note even when I close the error message. The other types of cards work fine.

EDIT: I just checked cards after getting the error, and I realize this came up

It’s basically saying there’s an issue with the front template. That issue I realized was addressed here: Card template has a problem / Problems / Knowledge Base - AnkiMobile/AnkiWeb Support (tenderapp.com)

It looks like this: “{{Front}bbn bbvnnmv.j}u kn.bnmy.9gb.bunncpcxxz xD ccc”

I theorize that my phone may have been on in my pocket, and accidentally gone into the anki app, and messed with the card settings. So now I just need to change it back to the normal thing, and it should work fine. Leaving this post here if anybody else has this issue.

Deleted the junk, and put back the closing curly brackets, and now my front template is fixed again. And success! I’m able to save notes again :slight_smile: .

2 Likes