Deleting the ,,tap out" function

Hello Guys,

I use my left alt to type in the Umlauts (left alt + u = ü). I’ve created it on Microsoft Power Toys and it works fine across all the apps instead of Anki - there every time i first click the left alt I ,type out" and need to click the left alt again in order to use my shortcut. I was already looking in the desktop App as well as I’ve installed an Add-On to simply remove it. Unfortunately i could not find it.

(this is what i mean by ,tap out" - notice there is no | )

Any idea how i could i resolve this issue?

Thank u in advance! :slight_smile:

left alt — The first press can activate the application menu (this is in Windows, you seem to be using the tool for it). This is the default behavior for this button.

I couldn’t replicate the fact that you’re getting the " symbol. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I don’t see the ü symbol in the screenshot, so it’s unclear what you mean.
Usually, for various additional symbols, the right Alt key is used instead of the left one.
It’s possible that Anki is to blame, or maybe some add-on in it. I can’t say for sure yet.

hi,

I couldnt use the right alt since i have polish special symbols there, hence the left one.
also, pressing the left alt does not activate the application menu. it just taps me out like this:

before i press the left alt:

after i press the left alt:

to the umlauts, its just a shortcurt i came up with to make my life easier (i dont like the german layout). But since it requires first pressing the left alt key its just annoying in the Anki app and i was hoping to just remove it

If you look closely, the focus has shifted to the menu; this is standard behavior for all Windows windows. You need to press and hold the button, then press the other required key. If that doesn’t work for you, there might be an issue with your system settings.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to any desktop shortcut. You could try a different one and see how it works.
I use a lot of different ones myself—I’ve got both the right Alt and right Win keys assigned.
Anyway, here’s how many combinations I have.

i might be blind but i genuinely don’t see anything lighting up.

also when i ,You need to press and hold the button, then press the other required key." it just taps me out, no symbol comes out.

and like i said its weird since it only happens in Anki - nowhere else :frowning:

also, an impressive amount of shortcuts! how did u make them all?

This isn’t for discussion in this thread, nor is it for Anki. If you’re interested, the information is publicly available.

What is Keybord_Assistant?
==========================
The program helps in switching keyboard layouts, adds the Birman layout and allows you to control the cursor from the main keyboard.
Allows you to switch a very large number of layouts with sound and with a hint.
You can define eight different layout lists.
You can switch all layouts (or a separate list) using the keys:
CapsLock, LShift, LCtrl, LAlt+Space, RAlt, RShift, RCtrl
Keybord_Assistant is free software. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL (GNU General Public License).

Try pressing the Left or Right arrow key a few times after pressing the Left Alt key once. You should notice that the menu has been activated.

it worked after i pressed up and down arrow key
but can i somehow delete the alt key from activating in the Anki app?

I’m not sure about that. Actually, activating the menu via the Left Alt key is a system function, not an Anki-specific one.
Generally, Alt+character combinations are intended for use by the application itself—allowing you to quickly trigger a menu item. If you want the key combination to work globally, you should change it to Ctrl+Alt+U.