Deck almost always changes to something random

I’ve used Anki for almost 7 years and it has always had this bug/undersight. There are many times when I am working with the same deck and I keep searching for stuff, adding notes, basically, going back and forth between different screens, but still working with the same deck. It would be very convenient (and expected) if Anki saved whatever was the last deck I worked on and always selected that one until I manually change to a different deck (at which point it should save that one as the last used deck instead). This is very easy to reproduce and I’m sure most of you are familiar with this, so I won’t bother outlining how to get an example of this bug/undersight.

Expected behavior (example):

1. Open the search screen and select a deck.
  2. Close the app.
  3. Open the app on the search screen again. The same deck should still be selected.
  4. Open the add new note screen. The same deck should be selected also.
  5. Go to the home screen and open a deck to study.
  6. Go back to the search screen. The deck that was studied should be selected this time.

If the devs don’t want this to be the default behavior, please at least add an option in the settings that enables this behavior. Personally, I think this is how the app should behave by default and it has bugged me since 2016, I just didn’t know about open source and this forum until relatively recently.

There are many times when I am working with the same deck and I keep searching for stuff, adding notes, basically, going back and forth between different screens, but still working with the same deck.

Sorry for the question, but what you mentioned is for Anki (Desktop) or Ankidroid (Android)? Should I change the category Ankidroid to Suggestions?

It would be very convenient (and expected) if Anki saved whatever was the last deck I worked on and always selected that one until I manually change to a different deck

For Ankidroid: im currently in the alpha build (idk if the current build works that way too), but after you exit the “Card browser”, it saves the previous search

For Anki: you could use Saved Searches

If the devs don’t want this to be the default behavior, please at least add an option in the settings that enables this behavior

While is not the exact thing, if you install https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/46611790 there is a function in the Browser called “Select entry from search history” (Crtl + H,)*

*Idk if it is Crtl or Shift for Windows/Linux users

About your previous post

I would personally LOVE to see either a flatpak of Anki or an appimage. I second that the current Linux installation method is a bit too awkward. Installing a flatpak or, better yet, just dropping an appimage into one of the bin folders on the system (e.g. ~/.local/bin) would be so much easier. Has the idea of changing the installation method for Anki been abandoned?

There is a flatpak version, but we still recommend the official version from ankiweb in case of problems