Crash on card review - erroneous times

Error
An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.
If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
Anki 2.1.54 (b6a7760c) Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.3.1 PyQt 6.3.1
Platform: Mac 10.14.6
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2023-01-04 17:38:31

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt.webview”, line 42, in cmd
File “aqt.webview”, line 149, in _onCmd
File “aqt.webview”, line 624, in _onBridgeCmd
File “aqt.reviewer”, line 529, in _linkHandler
File “aqt.reviewer”, line 446, in _answerCard
File “anki.scheduler.v2”, line 462, in answerCard
File “anki.cards”, line 123, in flush
File “anki.cards”, line 98, in _to_backend_card
ValueError: Value out of range: 4295003436

When reviewing cards, the good and easy buttons both say 100y, and I get this crash upon pressing them. The value out of range sugests some number is too big? I also get a crash when opening the statistics tab on AnkiDroid - this may be related? Perhaps some data has been corrupted, and there’s an overflow / underflow error that has caused some variable to take on a large value and cause things to break? Any help would be appreciated. I have already tried rebuilding the database as the error message suggested to me.

Can you post a screenshot of your deck options? Maybe you have a really high value there that’s causing the review intervals to be so high.

Here you go:

Is the 36500 the culprit? New to anki so I’m not that sure what all these numbers do tbh!

The maximum interval is set in days, so 36500 corresponds to the 100 years you’re seeing. But that’s a standard setting, so it’s weird that you’ve already reached that maximum point even though you’re a new user. Your settings seem like the default settings now, but were they different at some point?

Could you also post a screenshot of the “Info” screen of one of your cards where you’re having the issue? Then we can see the review history and maybe try to figure out what went wrong.

I don’t think the deck settings have been wildly different in the past. The 40 and 400 were originally 10 and 100, but that’s it. I did have issues where the daily limit of new cards was not being reset on AnkiDroid, but disabling the ‘new timezone handling’ option there seemed to fix that.

Here’s a card that’s been throwing errors. Some of those reviews are from me trying to repeat the error.

Also that 4295003436 figure in the error message is quite close to 2^32. I suppose it’s too big for some 32 bit integer?

Yes, I suppose so too. The error message is probably a bug with Anki not being able to handle such large numbers.

But then if the error message was to be fixed, you’d still have issues with your intervals being way too high. That card’s interval somehow went from 1 day to 69.04 years. It’s strange, but the only possible reason I can think of is your settings must have been different when reviewing that card… Is it possible there was an interval set at 25200 days (= 69.04 years) when it was supposed to be 25200 seconds (= 7 hours)?

Do you also have this problem with new cards? If not, I would maybe start over with the cards you’re having issues with. In the browser, you can press right click → Forget in order to reset the card’s history. It will reset your progress with that card, but if you only just started, maybe that’s not a big issue?

I’ll try resetting the cards. It shouldn’t be a big deal. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

The review history is indicative of a bug in one of your Anki clients. If you find it happens again, please try to figure out steps to reproduce it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.