Change / Add cmd+delete as "Delete Note" shortcut

Currently (as referenced in “Unable to Delete Note With Macro” and “MacOS Shortcuts Not Working”), the “Delete Note” keyboard shortcut / macro is “Cmd + forward delete”, or “Cmd +.fn + delete” on some keyboards.

Is there a reason that this isn’t “Cmd + delete”, or at least that we don’t support both? It took me a while to realize that the ‘Delete’ icon was pointing to the right; I had just assumed that the binding was broken. Even once I did notice that, I assumed it was a mistake: I didn’t know forward-delete existed. It looks like I’m not alone in this confusion, and “cmd+delete” is (imo) more natural and not used in the review shortcut menu.

Thoughts on adding “cmd+delete” as an option / swapping it in place of “cmd+forward-delete”? Happy to write the PR if people agree.

1 Like

It was done this way to work around a Qt bug, and because deletions weren’t undoable in the past, but that has since changed. Happy to accept a PR.

yes plz!!! I´ve been confused by this shortcut for a really long time and finally knew the weird command-fn-delete mechanism thanks to your post. please write their PR! it’s really really weird and I want command-delete to delete cards :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hey @dae - thanks for the explanation. Sorry it took me a while to get around to it, but the PR is here if you fancy a look: Change “Delete Note” shortcut to cmd+backspace by montyevans · Pull Request #2614 · ankitects/anki · GitHub

2 Likes

@ankianki The above PR just merged (thanks for the help @dae), so this should be fixed in the next release :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow that will be really really wonderful!!! thank you all for the efforts​:pleading_face::pleading_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and wish you a good day :saluting_face::open_hands::+1:t2:

Regards