Card due dates changed on sync

This is one of the reasons why Anki has no built in feature to rebuild all filtered decks - you could potentially be marking half your collection as modified on a daily basis if you’re not careful, which then needs to be synced.

That makes sense now. I will be sure to advise anyone that I’ve shared this add-on with.

I added the following text to the top of my add-on. If you have better wording I’d use it.

If you sync with ankiweb between different devices you must keep the following in mind or you will run into scheduling problems like lost repetitions: The anki creator explains why:

“Moving cards to a different deck marks them as modified, and if you then sync to a device that has earlier pending changes, those changes will be overridden with the more recent change. To ensure this doesn’t happen, you need to make sure all changes made on other devices have been synced to your desktop before you do any emptying/rebuilding.”

This is not a bug in my add-on or the other “Rebuild All”/“Empty All” add-ons. This is also not a bug in Anki. It’s just a mismatch. The filtered decks feature was not designed for batch rebuilts so when an add-on nevertheless does them there are some side-effects. If you have substantial parts of your collection in filtered decks this also means that much more than expected has to be synced which could take much longer etc.

2 Likes

A wording suggestion:

Make sure to sync all changes on other devices to your desktop before you do any emptying/rebuilding. This avoids scheduling problems like lost repetitions. The anki creator explains why: “Moving cards to a different deck marks them as modified, and if you then sync to a device that has earlier pending changes, those changes will be overridden with the more recent change."

(Now that my inner proofreader has been invoked: In the following paragraph note typo “rebuilts” for “rebuilds”. Also, “side effects” does not include a hyphen."

2 Likes

@brec: Thanks for these improvements. I updated the ankiweb listing. Most of my texts have mistakes. Any corrections are welcome (though usually updating a text takes me a couple of days or weeks).