BUG: All text imports are showing up as duplicates

I made a similar post on Reddit, but I’ve placed additional details here.

Greetings,

I have been using a spreadsheet to keep track of my Ancient Greek language deck. Recently, I started having a problem with duplicates. I deleted the whole deck I was working on and reimported; now EVERY card is duplicated.

The *.csv file was renamed to *.txt and has the following headers:
#separator:Comma
#html:true
#deck column:1
#tags column:2

The basic import options

I have also used the default Notetype (Basic) as well as Preserve and no option fixes this issue.

There is this KB article that says to simply delete the note, but this is not practical for ~5000 vocabulary cards and grows every time I re-import with new vocabulary.

I am a programmer so I was importing using the Anki Connect plugin, which I have removed, and tried to re-import but still to no avail.

I suspect that the issue is due to card detection and merging, with regards to UTF8 accent marks in the Anki eco-system. Google Sheets has an issue with searching for Greek accents even if I copy the word, so perhaps Anki has similar problems? This doesn’t explain why it was working fine until recently.

Some details about the version.

Apple M1 Sonoma 14.2

Anki Software
Version ⁨23.12.1 (1a1d4d54)⁩
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.5.3 PyQt 6.5.3

Can you share the file?

Hello abdo,

It might be an issue on my end. There might be an issue with a “seek” system call I’m running. So in order not to waste your time, let me confirm that I’m not sending you on a wild goose chase.

I can confirm its my issue. seek 0, 0, on the source file caused duplicates.

What threw me is that as I deleted sub decks, the duplicates started appearing, and then when I deleted the root deck, everything was duplicated. However, the root issue is with my code.

1 Like

Makes sense.

I misread this paragraph and thought you’re importing normally via the interface.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.