Backend Scheduler Interface and Gathering New Cards

Hi there,

1. I am interested in implementing a custom algorithm for new card gather order*. What would be the recommended way (if it exists) of interacting with Anki’s backend to accomplish this?

2. As a corollary question: I have only written add-ons in older (pre-FSRS support) versions of Anki. There, I am used to the syntax aqt.mw.col.sched for interacting with the scheduler. Since only one scheduler may be enabled across all of a profile’s decks at a time, I wonder if this interface is maintained regardless of which scheduler has been set by the user? For example, will the syntax aqt.mw.col.sched.getCard() always work regardless of which scheduler is being used?

*(In particular, each new note corresponds to a DAG vertex and I want to topologically sort them such that cards are introduced after their dependencies. Maybe changing new card gather order isn’t what I should be looking for here, if so let me know…)

Thanks!

Since V3, it’s no longer possible to modify parts of the scheduler’s logic using add-ons. Most logic is implemented in Rust. You may able to get something done by implementing a new Scheduler class however and overriding col.sched but it’s not possible to selectively only modify the gathering order as far as I know and my guess is that you’ll need to patch a lot of other methods that use Rust methods to call your code instead.

Yes, it’ll work because all schedulers are based on the Scheduler class (there’s only V3 anyway nowadays).

2 Likes

I see, thanks for the response. How does the repositioning of cards work internally? I wonder if there is a straightforward way to programmatically edit those queue numbers.

Failing all of this, I suppose a workaround might be to set gathering order to be sequential and re-insert all new cards in the desired order upon the addition of any new cards. But this would scale laughably poorly…

Right now I am just grabbing new cards via new_cards = mw.col.find_cards(f"deck:{deck_name} is:new") and then modifying each of values mw.col.getCard(card_id).due to acheive the desired ordering. What are the drawbacks of this approach?

That’s what I was going to suggest. I think it’s a reasonable approach. You can also maybe periodically re-sort new cards to make sure newly added cards are in the correct order.

1 Like