Automatic Optimisation of FSRS weights after 400 reviews threshold

Or a prompt to see now that the 400 reviews mark has been reached so that the weight can be optimized immediately without having to overshoot the number of reviews and the weights start to become tailored to the cards in the deck.

2 Likes

@dae sorry for bothering you, but it’s best if you explain your stance on automatic optimization yourself.

1 Like

I am against automatic optimization. I have decks where I don’t use all the fsrs functionality. It’s just that when watching, I almost always answer “good”. Automatic optimization would make the intervals too large.

I also don’t understand why the notification is needed. It is not so difficult to estimate approximately after what time there will be 400 reviews based on the number of daily new cards + the initial interval. If desired, you can set yourself a notification in the calendar.
The base weights are good enough not to worry about it.

2 Likes

Well it is a bit hard to judge the passing of the 400 reviews mark for each deck, if the cards are being split into different decks and not just one.

The problem with the intervals becoming too large at the start, that I never thought about. Is that a general problem of FSRS :neutral_face:

2 Likes

It does not depend on the number of reviews in the deck.

I don’t understand what you’re talking about.

It does not depend on the number of reviews in the deck.

O_O? What? So then what does the optimization depend on?

I don’t understand what you’re talking about.

Does FSRS generally have a problem with optimizing right at the mark and that waiting a few days is the sound call? Because I thought the threshold is there for a reason and it makes the amount of review passes for it to start scheduling according to new weights.

Also a sidenote: It does not have to be a one-size-fits-all thing. Perhaps a toggle to turn it on or off would be nice, you think?

The problem with the intervals becoming too large at the start, that I never thought about.

That’s just because that user almost always presses “Good”, according to his own words. He doesn’t use the buttons to grade himself, if I understand him correctly. He doesn’t assess whether he recalled the card or not, just simply “I saw it, therefore I press Good”.

2 Likes

That doesn’t mean I always do that. There are decks where it’s better for me, and there are decks where you honestly evaluate yourself.
This usually happens with subs2srs decks. Or decks where a lot of knowledge is already well learned.

You can view the FSRS optimization hint yourself at any time.

So? I dont see anything suggesting something different to what I understood FSRS to be doing in the first place.

1 Like

By default, parameters will be calculated from the review history of all decks using the current preset.

I am having a hard time trying to get your point or why this is relevant to my own point because you are saying nothing new to me or nothing that I am disagreeing with.
If it helps to clarify things a bit, each deck of my own has its own preset, so I dont know what you are trying to get at.

Well it is a bit hard to judge the passing of the 400 reviews mark for each deck, if the cards are being split into different decks and not just one.

I know people who forget to update their Anki for years and it’s not because they didn’t want to but because they completly forgot about it (then they saw someone else’s Anki and realised they haven’t been updating at all lol).

Same is the case with some functionalities. So I agree that a notification would be a good thing.

About long intervals at the beginning, Yes this is common but is helpful for some type of content.

Lol I never knew people do it. Why the heck would you press Good on a card you’ve probably seen the first time and don’t know very well? Or maybe some med students learn everything before hand. So if I understand it currently this happened because the data on which default parameters were trained upon had people who would press Good on cards a lot? Maybe introducing a user defined max limit on intervals for the first review be helpful?

Edit:I didn’t read your message properly :sweat:

You said deck. He was thinking presets. If the material is different somehow, you’d need different presets for them.

The default parameters are fine. It’s just that some users use Anki in a more “reading” way than “testing” way, where they just read the card and then send it into the future regardless. For them, FSRS will not work well. FSRS will interpret it as “Oh wow, this guy has genius-level memory, he never forgets anything, I need to give him superlong intervals!”

1 Like

That would still work as intended, right? Assuming the user wants to review a deck n a more relaxed “just reading” way. As long as there is still a way the user can fail the card (e.g., if they read it but did were not aware of the concept at all), FSRS will still work well.

That’s the beauty of different params for each deck/preset:

I do not have any “just read” deck, but I have deck of varying importance and requirements: For some I need to write code and the cost must run to advance the card. For others, it’s enough to have understood a concept/translation etc. Retention rate and (subjective) differently strict advancing thresholds make it possible to learn different things in different ways.

“Just reading” means they never fail, unless maybe in some very rare cases.

Maybe we can implement the feature but let it be a choice of the user (and the default would be not to use it) ?

2 Likes

I thought so as well.

1 Like