The solution I shared in the previous post actually lead to some other issues later down the road, mainly audio clips not playing from the very beginning (something to do with loading? no idea). I have went ahead and installed every driver I could find, including updating my bios, but nothing seemed to work, until I revisited the article I had linked and noticed that the ‘audio enhancements’ tab it speaks off, which I hadn’t been able to find, is actually a single checkbox under the ‘advanced’ tab. Now unchecking that seems to have fixed the issue instantly, without needing to mess with the drivers (I went back to the official ones along the way). Here’s hoping it stays that way! Either way, I recommend anyone with the problem to first try that, mess with the drivers later.
Step by step guide for my hapless fellows:
- Right-click the speaker icon on your taskbar.
- Left-click ‘sounds’.
- Navigate to the ‘playback’ tab.
- Select your active audio device (the one with the green checkmark)
- Click ‘properties’.
- Move to the ‘advanced tab’.
- Uncheck the ‘enable audio enhancements’ box near the bottom of the window.
- Click ‘apply’.
Now, my Windows isn’t in English, so the exact names of the tabs and buttons might be a little bit different, but I think you’ll be able to tell what’s what. Also, I did the same for my headphones, so you might want to do that as well, for any external audio device you use.
In conclusion, damn the audio enhancements, I swear, this is not the first type I’ve had audio issues caused by something designed to ‘enhance’ it…