Asterisk / hyphen to add bullet points in note editor

When editing or writing note fields, it would be nice to be able to type "* ", "- ", or "1. " on a new line and immediately create a bullet point list that suits each character.

bulletPoint

It is already enabled on MS Word and Google Docs, and is part of markdown as well, so is also enabled in apps like Discord. I think people (including me) would find this a more intuitive way to create lists.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I would be very happy to implement this via a GitHub pull request at some time if you accept it as I have been meaning to start open-source contributions for a while and have quite a lot of experience with JS (so TypeScript used in the editor isn’t far off).

1 Like

I’m not sure about this - I agree it would be a useful feature, but it will add some extra complexity to the editor, and the work would go to waste if we introduce proper markdown support in the future.

Thank you for the quick feedback and good points. I will still personally see how it works on my fork and if it is not too complex could perhaps add it as an opt-in feature in settings or an add-on if that is OK with you, @dae?

1 Like

You’re of course welcome to make changes in a local fork. I’d need to see the code before I could make a decision on whether to include it, but you don’t need my permission if you’d like to release it in an add-on.

1 Like

Now I realise I may have been too enthusiastic and once I got used to the Ctrl+. and Ctrl+, keyboard shortcuts this feature wasn’t needed. Unless anyone else wants this feature, please close this thread.

Please, please can you (or someone) make a plugin where I can customise the bullet symbol. I would love to be able to use a dashed (or any symbol) list with a keyboard shortcut or a button instead of html.

Additionally the way lists are formatted are quite annoying sometimes. Like I can’t make a list without padding above and below it. I can only make:

Some text:

​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ β€’ ​ item 1
​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ‒​ ​ item 2

more text

instead of:

Some text:
​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ β€’ ​ item 1
​​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ‒​ ​ item 2
more text

additionally if there were more numbered list options such as (1) or (i) or (a), etc. (maybe by defining an order β€œi, ii, iii, …” and β€œa, b, c, …”, and then letting the user put whatever symbol at the beginning or end of that), then lists would actually be perfect.
​

I know that’s a lot of feature requests but I think it would benefit so much from this because lists right now imo are severely lacking.

Thank you

I’m afraid that I’m very busy right now (and have a backlog of issues to address on my current open source projects), but will let you know if I start this plugin. Sorry for not being able to collaborate more right now.