AnkiMobile is unable to open Safari on iOS 14

Hi there,

I just purchased a new iPhone 12 Pro Max running iOS 14 and installed AnkiMobile on it. Unfortunately, I have found that I am unable to select the “?” in the upper-left corner of the screen or search for decks online successfully, because the AnkiMobile app is unable to open Safari. When I attempt to do either of these things, I get a popup on my screen that says “Unable to open Safari - please check parental controls.”

I can assure you that I have absolutely zero content or screen time restrictions on my phone; it is brand-new. I haven’t been able to find this particular error message anywhere online to try to troubleshoot the problem. I’d like to use this app properly, having just paid for it – would anyone be able to help me out? Thanks!

After some investigation I’ve determined that this occurs whenever Safari is not set as the default browser. I would love it if this issue could be fixed (if either Safari or the current default browser could be opened from the app), as I prefer to use Chrome on my iPhone.

I think this is actually an iOS bug, but it appears there’s a way to work around it, so I’ll look into this for the next update.

Understood. Thank you for all that you do!

A fix should be in the next beta; please let me know if you’d like to try it. https://docs.ankimobile.net/#/beta-testing