Anki Spacing after falling behind

Hi all,

So admittedly, I’d been not so great with Anki over last semester. I did my cards every day, but once the exam came, I’d pretty much abandon them and make a new deck for the next exam. After four exams (and four decks), and taking off during winter break (about 2 weeks), I came back with about 8,000 reviews. I figured the best way to tackle it is to just do as many cards I can per day (I do around 1500-1800) and hopefully be caught up in about a week (I still need to be adding new cards as I learn new material on top of the 8000 reviews, and im prepping for boards and adding cards there, too).

My concern is this: I have a 1 month limit on max intervals (might increase to 45 days). I know that spaced repetition for longterm learning is best without a max interval, but bc I have boards coming up, I really need to make sure I’m not pushing my cards back so far that I won’t see them in time for boards. After this, I will increase the limit again for long-term learning.

As I was doing cards, I realized that with this 1 month max interval, all of these cards I’m busting out all at once are going to pop up again in 1 month. I.e, If I graduate 1500 cards per day to see them again in 1 month every day for a week, then I’ll have one really difficult week every month. I’m wondering if there is a way I can spread these out, without physically taking more time to catch up?

Thanks!

1 Like

You can reschedule cards in the browser with an interval.
But I’d propose a different approach: Just use Anki as you would for long-term study but then create a filtered deck for the exam-relevant cards. Uncheck reschedule cards based on my answers and append -rated:31 to the search filter.
If you now proceed with your regular study and end each session with the filtered deck, this will have the following advantages:

• In the filtered deck, you have more options to filter for the relevant cards. E.g., if there is a tag you only need to learn “long-term”, you can exclude it easily.
  • When your exams are over your cards will already have more reasonable intervals for long-term studying.
  • You can prioritise cards which are for any reason more important to study additionally.
  • You can choose when and how much per day you study additionally without the need to reschedule or worrying about cards getting overdue.

Hope that helps.

p.s. I’ve moved your topic to a more suitable category. “Suggestions” is for feature requests and such regarding Anki itself.

3 Likes

Hi all,

So admittedly, I’d been not so great with Anki over last semester. I did my cards every day, but once the exam came, I’d pretty much abandon them and make a new deck for the next exam. After four exams (and four decks), and taking off during winter break (about 2 weeks), I came back with about 8,000 reviews. I figured the best way to tackle it is to just do as many cards I can per day (I do around 1500-1800) and hopefully be caught up in about a week (I still need to be adding new cards as I learn new material on top of the 8000 reviews, and im prepping for boards and adding cards there, too).

My concern is this: I have a 1 month limit on max intervals (might increase to 45 days). I know that spaced repetition for longterm learning is best without a max interval, but bc I have boards coming up, I really need to make sure I’m not pushing my cards back so far that I won’t see them in time for boards. After this, I will increase the limit again for long-term learning.

As I was doing cards, I realized that with this 1 month max interval, all of these cards I’m busting out all at once are going to pop up again in 1 month. I.e, If I graduate 1500 cards per day to see them again in 1 month every day for a week, then I’ll have one really difficult week every month. I’m wondering if there is a way I can spread these out, without physically taking more time to catch up? Isthere an add on for this?

Thanks!

… to spread cards out…

• Increase Max interval; how much? With Max=30, a card rated Today will be reviewed every 30d - until the exam date. With Max=90, it is every 90d.
    See how many sessions you will have until exam. If it is 1 session, it is perfect because doing 1500 cards a day, you will have time to do Custom deck for cards due >exam; if it is 2 sessions, you can increase the Max ivl.
    Note: i didn’t try this of course.

Efficiency.

1. Use add-on "Change order of Review…’’. Do it in Ascending order.
  2. For the full CONTROL of Next Interval, get add-on ‘’ Rememorize … reschedule…’’.
    Two clicks and you will change the Anki ivl ( Ease=250 ),
  3. I do not Fail the Overdue cards but reschedule them for n-days ( dynamic option ). If you want this, i will add details.
  4. Fuzz. Read Manual. If you want to kill or reduce it, add-on ‘‘Defuzz’’ will do it;
    I can show you my setup for defuzzing.
  • New Interval for Overdue cards: you have enough data to see what interval will work.

FYI: When you moved this post, my comment was not moved along.
Is this a bug ?

The OP created two posts. I will merge them.

2 Likes