Anki does not show my decks

Hi, everyone! I need some help here. I use anki as my only source of study and I am desperate with a problem: Sometimes Anki “stops working” and shows me a blank screen, as if I had no decks. But on the contrary, everything I study is on Anki. I even got afraid of overloading the app and created different profiles, to put cards of different sources on each profile (for example: one profile for laws, another one for courts decisions, another one for classes appointments and books summaries, so on… I had this idea because I was using one profile for everything and suddenly Anki stopped creating new decks when I tried to add new ones. I guess I have more than 10.000 or so on this profile that Anki insists on telling me I have no decks (blank screen). I checked my Anki web account and all my decks are there. I can’t understand what is going on with my desktop app. Please help me, I’m desperate. I have 4 years of studies on Anki. My laptop is a Macbook Air OS 11.6.4. THANK YOU!

1 Like

See post by @ Apetited here:
Deck invisible in the decks menu, but still exists in anki - Syncing & AnkiWeb - Anki Forums

will try it, thanks!

1 Like

It worked, THANK YOU! Do you know if there is any recommendation regarding the number of cards I should not exceed on each profile on the desktop app?

1 Like

Glad it worked. The thanks of course should go to @ Apetited :slight_smile:

The safe limit is 100,001 cards, as mentioned here:

Anki - powerful, intelligent flashcards (ankiweb.net)

Thanks

1 Like

I guess the issue is caused by having too many decks or large deck trees, and not too many notes. There is no set limit for the number of decks/notes you can have as far as I know. Additionally, the issue should be fixed in the coming release (2.1.50).

10000 notes should not cause problems. I have 24x as many notes and never had this issue.

Relevant:

https://docs.ankiweb.net/editing.html#using-decks-appropriately

1 Like

Hey abdo! Always coming for the rescue, thank you! As I was telling @OldGrantonian earlier, my decks reappeared, but now they are gone, again. I will check closely the article you recommended, but even fixing this problem of too many decks require that I have acces to them, of course. In the sync options, I chose to send my studies from anki desktop to anki web, so the changes I could make on the web version wouldn’t be sent to the app. Is there anything I could do? Thanks again!

1 Like

I felt this could be the problem, then I downloaded all my decks (when they reappeared, created 3 different profiles ad divided them among the profiles. Weirdly, the problem remains.

Here’s a quote from @advgdias original post:

I’m wondering if we can address this issue in the same way as we normally address the issue of addons - by “divide and conquer”. When any OP determines that she might have an issue with addons, the recommended procedure is to disable 50% of the addons.

Maybe @advgdias could experiment by hiding half the decks, and determine whether the issue still persists.
https://faqs.ankiweb.net/hiding-decks.html
Thanks

1 Like

Hey @abdo my decks re back again. Let’s see until when they will be here. They reappeared after I deleted all the add-ons. Actually, I deleted one by one and I guess the problem can be related to the “enhance main window”. Let’s wait and see

2 Likes

Thanks for the support!

1 Like

FYI the other user didn’t have enhance main window installed, so if that’s the culprit here this issue may be unrelated. Either way, glad to hear the advice helped!

1 Like

That add-on adds a lot of text to the window, so it can result in the same issue as when there are too many decks to show.

1 Like

It might be unrelated. But well, the fact that in the case of the other user the problem had nothing to do with this add-on does not mean that in ALL cases it won’t have. I’m not saying the add-on isn’t good or that it ALWAYS causes problems (this can be inferred for sure - it does not always causes problems). It is important to report our impressions, because there might be something to be investigated. Just like the hypothesis pointed by @dae . Just to let everybody know: Anki is still working :smiley:

3 Likes