Anki crashing when importing new cards

My friend made an anki deck and when I download the deck and then go to open it, Anki stops responding. I end up having to force quit the application. We both run the same version of Anki and our decks are not heavy. We tested and it’s not an add-on problem either, it seems to be an export problem as even my friend cannot re-download the deck once he exports it google drive. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it? PLEASE HELP

Please start Anki while holding down the shift key to disable add-ons and try again. If it’s a large import, please wait for some time before deciding that it’s stuck, as it may just be processing.

I tried using the shift key to disable add-ons on both exporting and importing and still nothing. It is a really small import, and it even happens when just trying a single card.

Please try all the steps on the following page:

https://faqs.ankiweb.net/when-problems-occur.html

If problems persist after that, are you able to export your collection without media, and share it privately along with the file you’re trying to import so I can try to reproduce the problem?