Anki 2.1.64 Release Candidate

Hi all,

A new release candidate is available - please let us know how it goes for you.

4 Likes

Thanks for the release candidate!

The new option to configure answer keys in the preferences is a really cool addition.
Just one thing: would it be possible to consider either

1. Changing it to something like “Alternative answer keys”.
    This way, no matter the configuration, the user would still be able to press 1/2/3/4 to rate their cards. E.g. I like the h, j, k, l key bindings, but sometimes it is more convenient to use the left hand.
  2. Allowing for more than one custom key binding.
    Same logic, but with added flexibility. Perhaps a maximum of two keys per rating option to keep things simple.

Also [Windows10, Version ⁚2.1.64 (716db5ee)⁩, Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.4.3 PyQt 6.4.0]:

I cannot vertically resize the Preferences window anymore.

• Unless I maximize it, the “Some settings will take effect after you restart Anki” note and the Close and Help buttons are not visible:

• If I do maximize it, the numeric input boxes get vertically squashed (in the Review tab only)

1 Like

The software installation (qt6/qt5 wundows) does not work properly

ŚȘŚžŚ•Ś Ś”

The order of the actions I performed

1. Installation

2. Additional installation

3. Uninstallation

4. Restart the computer

5. Install once more

I also see that the location of the default install garter has changed.
is it on purpose?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Programs\Anki\

Before that there was another location

C:\Program Files\Anki\

I noticed a few things about the new feature that allows you to assign any keys to the answer keys and the related UI.

1. The Answer keys section of the Review tab sticks to the bottom when the Preferences dialog is enlarged.

2. The tooltips for the answer buttons show the default keys even after changing the settings and restarting Anki.

3. Even keys that won’t work as answer keys can be configured. For example, the same key can be entered for Again and Hard, or the r key, a shortcut for media playback, can be entered as an answer key. To avoid these problems, maybe the following validation should be done.

1. Each of the four keys is unique.

2. Each key does not conflict with any of Anki’s built-in shortcuts in the review screen.

• 1 may not be necessary as it is obvious to everyone that it does not work, but 2 is essential, as there are some keys, such as the s key, which may be mistaken for an unused key as it is not discoverable from menus, tooltips, etc.

Screenshot:

wrong-tooltip

It works fine for me on Windows 10 21H2 19044.1645.

Actually, just try to install Anki to C:\Anki or C:\Programs\Anki to see if it helps or not.

If it doesn’ help

Maybe try starting Anki using anki-console.bat. Maybe there will be some additional warnings. For example,

Preparing to run

Qt warning: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “windows” in “”
Qt fatal: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Maybe also check C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Programs\Anki\lib\PyQt6\Qt6\plugins and search for *.dll. There should be 44 items.

Maybe start Anki from cmd with this command.

set QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 & "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Programs\Anki\anki"

The output might include a line with additional information.

Preparing to run

Qt debug: checking directory path “C:/Users/Nickolay/AppData/Local/Programs/Anki/platforms” 

Qt warning: Could not find the Qt platform plugin “windows” in “”

1 Like

I have tried. It didn’t help

How do you do this?

There are now 44 files

I got the following error:

Qt warning: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "windows" in ""
Qt fatal: This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

To start Anki from cmd (I guess that what you meant), press Win+R and type cmd.

Or click Start and type cmd to find Command Prompt.

Then copy-paste the command and press Enter to run it.

set QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 & "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Programs\Anki\anki"

There should be at least one additional line with Qt debug:. If Anki started correclty, the output will be something like this

Qt debug: checking directory path “C:/Users/Nickolay/AppData/Local/Programs/Anki/lib/PyQt6/Qt6/plugins/platforms” 

Qt debug: looking at “C:/Users/Nickolay/AppData/Local/Programs/Anki/lib/PyQt6/Qt6/plugins/platforms/qwindows.dll”

Qt debug: checking directory path “C:/Users/Nickolay/AppData/Local/Programs/Anki/platforms” 

Qt debug: “C:/Users/Nickolay/AppData/Local/Programs/Anki/lib/PyQt6/Qt6/plugins/platforms/qwindows.dll” loaded library

1 Like
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22621.1702]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\username>set QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS=1 & "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Programs\Anki\anki"

C:\Users\username>Anki starting...
Initial setup...
Running with temporary Qt5 compatibility shims.
Run with DISABLE_QT5_COMPAT=1 to confirm compatibility with Qt6.
Preparing to run...
Qt debug: checking directory path "C:/Users/â•«â‚§â•«âŒâ•«ÂŹâ•«â‚§â•«âŒ â•«Âżâ•«Ś â•«âŒâ•«Ś©/AppData/Local/Programs/Anki/platforms" ...
Qt warning: Could not find the Qt platform plugin "windows" in ""

The output is identical to mine (if I rename ‘plugins’ folder to trigger this error).

The only difference it the username that contains non-latin characters in your case.

It’s unfortunate that installing Anki to C:\Anki or C:\Programs\Anki didn’t help. Maybe if you run Anki from the shortcut, maybe try it again (or any other installation path containing Latin letters only), but run Anki from the installation folder just to be sure.

I don’t know what else to try.

1 Like

It actually helped!!

Apparently the problem was Hebrew letters @dae

For some reason the old path did not work, even though the path is in Latin

C:\Program Files\Anki\

I completely agree with you.

From my testing, Hebrew characters are not active as keyboard shortcuts, it is likely that only Latin characters are supported.

Maybe you should consider supporting Hebrew Chinese Arabic Cyrillic characters and more?

Please allow any of the letters (h,j,k,l) ​​to show the answer, and if the answer is already open now the letters work to qualify.

If no the answer is not shown, show.
If it is shown, rate it.

@jcznk @navamed

Re: multiple shortcuts or using the answer keys to trigger other actions, that will need to wait until we have a plan for how shortcuts should be handled more generally.

I’ll reduce the vertical space used by moving the answer keys to the right of that dialog.

@kelciour thanks for running through those debug steps

@noty the next rc should be able to run even if your path contains Hebrew characters. When the rc comes out, please let us know if it worked for you.

I’m not a professional developer but maybe you can just put in a nested conditional that works in the card review/study environment.

If the “Use custom keys for review” checkbox is enabled, and if the answer is not being displayed, any of the custom keys for review allows you to flip and display the question. If the answer is already displayed, the key rates the card.

This plugin does exactly what I’m talking about: right hand reviews / hjkl answer shortcuts / Handy Answer Keys (configurable)

@jcznk @navamed

The add on AJT Flexible Grading has been updated to work with 2.1.63+ versions of Anki and solves both of your concerns with the h,j,k,l shortcuts to my knowledge. This has been a suitable workaround for me while the Anki team decides what direction to take this feature. Cheers!

I definitely second (or third/fourth) this. This is what people have been used to for years given the current setup with the customize keyboard shortcuts add-on. I would hesitate to release this as is unless the customize keyboard shortcuts add-on is still able to offer that alternate. I personally switch back and forth between the two sets quite regularly and would find it quite annoying if I could only select one. You could just roll back this feature entirely as well as the functionality is already present with that add-on

3 Likes

Release candidate 2 is now available: Release 2.1.64rc2 · ankitects/anki · GitHub

@AnKingMed users who prefer the status quo can avoid customizing the shortcuts inside Anki, and instead use of the add-ons they’re used to.

The new rc works well for me.
Thanks!

I just updated from 2.1.63 to 2.1.64 rc2. I uninstalled it from Program Files\Anki and then installed to \AppData\Local\Programs\Anki (Windows 10; Qt5; only Latin script).

When I started Anki, I immediately noticed that the windows were not maximized anymore, and the column in the browser were not as I had set them.

After starting the isntaller without admin rights and trying to install into Program Files\Anki, I got this (intended) error message:

---------------------------
Anki Setup
Error opening file for writing: 

C:\Program Files\Anki\anki-console.bat

Click Retry to try again, or

Cancel to stop the installation.
Retry   Cancel   

Executing the installer as admin, I could install to Program Files\Anki. However, now I can’t open Anki.exe.

I uninstalled 2.1.64 and reinstalled 2.1.63. Now that isn’t starting either
 I have to investigate this.

edit: I uninstalled and removed leftovers with Revo Uninstaller. Installed again, now I am able to run Anki again.