Anki 2.1.56 Release Candidate

I didn’t have anything too specific in mind, I just noticed that the active cloze, if nested inside another cloze, would have both the .cloze and .cloze-inactive classes, and that seemed to complicate things a bit on the user side.

E.g. I was thinking of some simple note of the like:

Question 1: {{c4::{{c1::Answer1}}}}
Question 2: {{c4::{{c2::Answer2}}}}
Question 3: {{c4::{{c3::Answer3}}}}

CSS:

.cloze-inactive {opacity: 0;}
.cloze-inactive:hover {opacity: 1;}

But this of course would result in the active cloze to be hidden as well.

Actually, this particular use case, and probably many others, can be addressed by employing the newly added data-ordinal attribute, which I did not realize was a thing until recently. Nice!

Yeah, there are some things, like opacity and display, that can’t be overridden in a descendant and I know of no CSS way of mimicking :has() so for those cases I think a little JS will be easiest, something like:

for (const el of document.querySelectorAll('.cloze-inactive')) {
    if (!el.querySelector('.cloze')) el.classList.add('hidden') // or whatever
}

Couldn’t your opacity case be worked around with something like this though?

.cloze {
	font-weight: bold;
	font-style: normal;
	color: blue;
}
.cloze-inactive {color: var(--canvas-elevated);}
.cloze-inactive:hover {color: var(--fg);}

My personal use case is to allow easy clozing of lecture notes like this (so it will need something like the above JS, or rather, my Flexible cloze will do something like the above):

Anemia - types: {{c1::

• Microcytic - MCV < 100 {{c2::

• ↓→Rc: Fe deficit
    • ↑Rc: Thalassemia

}}

• Normocytic - MCV 100 - 120 {{c3::

• ↓→Rc:
      • Functional Fe deficit
      • Primary BM disease
      • Secondary anemia
    • ↑Rc:
      • Hemolysis
      • MDS w/ hemolysis

}}

• Macrocytic MCV > 120 {{c4::

• ↓→Rc:
      • B12 and/or Folate deficit
      • MDS
      • Hereditary
    • ↑Rc:
      • MDS w/ hemolysis
      • Hemolysis

}}

}}

2 Likes

As in the last betas of 2.1.55, it takes up to two seconds for the note details to appear when switching to the browser view (macOS, Intel version, Qt5).

1 Like

Some other minor issues (haven’t checked if they are new):

• The labelling of the “Import” button is very squeezed in the German-language localisation (import dialogue).
  • The options in the drop-down menus in the import dialogue are not accessible via the keyboard (by pressing the first letter of the respective menu item).

Thank you very much! Both solutions work great

Windows 10 qt6, no add-ons

1. This problem arised somewhere along the 2.1.55 beta phase, steps to reproduce:
  • open a card with an input element (e.g. {{type:Text}}) and put the cursor inside it
  • zoom enough for the scrollbar to appear
  • unfocus the input field (e.g. click outside of it, or flip the card)
    → Anki will auto scroll to the bottom of the card
  1. -introduced:x seems bugged. It does not detect manually rescheduled cards, yet to be reviewed for the first time, which were new before using Set Due Date.
    E.g.
    If I search resched:10, I get 484 results.
    resched:10 introduced:10 gives 168 results.
    resched:10 -introduced:10: only 10 (the ones that were not new at the time of the reschedule)

2.1.56 was released as stable today. Changes since rc1:

• Add more left/right margin to buttons on Windows.
  • Fix cloze buttons being disabled in MathJax editor.
  • Fix some missing info in stats screen.
  • Don’t display a ‘timestamps in the future’ message after a bulk import.

If you experience any issues with the stable release, please report them on a new thread.

@Rumo could we be missing outer parens on this query?

4 Likes

Not only that, as it turns out!

1 Like

Thanks for the new release!

Most issues with the stats seem to be fixed now for me. One issue I’m still having is the numbers displayed below the “Added” graph being too low. But the numbers when hovering over the bars are correct now!

Sorry, this is a very minor error pertaining to the 2.1.55 build, but that thread is closed and I can’t seem to find if anyone has reported this somewhere else (in that case, please disregard), and for good reasons I cannot test if it persists in 2.1.56.

Now that 2.1.56 has gone out, I got to experience the new feature where Anki notifies me when a new release is put out. But the notification box (at least on my computer, Ubuntu 22.04) is too small to hold the text on one of the buttons:

1 Like

@Freya dang. Thanks, fixed.

@pinnerup that’s one of the issues .56 should (mostly) address.

1 Like

working well on Mac Qt6 , thank you for fixing the Highlight feature so quickly!

Found a bug in 2.1.56 (on macOS qt6 fwiw).
In the forecast graph, it should show the currently confirmed cards in the graph and also show the total possible amount including ones being (re)studied when hovering, but in 2.1.56 it shows the latter and when hovering the amounts are the same. (Adding screenshots of .55 vs .56)

Is it possible that the preview mode remembers the previous window state, thus remaining for example maximized ?
Same for deck options and Anki preferences

Since updating to Anki 2.1.55+ I’ve had this feeling that something felt off about the reviewing screen, and I realized it after comparing with 2.1.54.

In 2.1.54 there is a dark line dividing the top bar with the card, whereas in 2.1.55+ there is no line divider. I think it looks much better with the dark line divider as in 2.1.54, functioning as a clear divider between the top bar and the card.

Also considering that the bottom bar has a line divider between it and the card, it would be more consistent if it was also on the top, as it was in 2.1.54 and before.

2 Likes

When adding tags, the menu for existing tags is too far away from the text box when there are less than ~7 tags shown.

Here’s a screenshot with >7 tags shown:

Here’s a screenshot with <7 tags shown:

EDIT: As an aside, it would be convenient if, once there is only one tag left in the list, the final tag was automatically selected so that hitting ENTER would add it to the note.

1 Like

I agree. A dividing line improves the appearance.

A similar comment applies to the Decks screen. It looks odd to have the top and bottom of the decks list cut off. The easiest fix would be to add lines between the “Decks/Add/Brows/Stats/Sync” header and the deck list and between the deck list and the “Get Shared/Create Deck/Import File” footer".

Alternatively, what if the width of the “Decks/Add/Brows/Stats/Sync” buttons were increased so that they were slightly wider than the deck list, and the gap below them was removed? Here’s a quick demo to illustrate what I mean:

I also recommend removing the rounded corners from the top-left and top-right corners.

For the footer, an alternative to a line would be to make the footer a different color visually differentiate it from the deck list:

A few more minor comments on the “Decks/Add/Brows/Stats/Sync” header: If you click and hold “Browse” while moving the cursor to hover over “Stats”, you see a gap between the two buttons. As a result, a section between each button is not clickable.

I would also modify that “hovered” and “clicked” appearances of the buttons for two reasons:

• The current “hovered” appearance makes the button look indented, due to the shadows at the top and sides, making the button appear slightly pressed. What if we change this to darkening the entire button?
  • The difference in appearance between when a button is “hovered” vs. when it is “clicked” is hardly noticeable. Maybe we could turn the button blue while it is clicked? Similar to this:

It does look odd on your screenshot. However, if you don’t have that many decks, the new appearance looks very clean:

If you were to add lines under the header and above the footer, like you suggested, then that would not look as nice on my screen… So I feel like a different solution would be needed, so that it looks nice for people with a long deck list as well as for people with a short list.

Parts of MathJax equations are not rendering correctly. Here, the parentheses around “x” are missing

Even worse, when I move to the next card, press “undo”, then study the card again, this time the MathJax equation does not appear.

I thought this might be related to the JavaScript I was using to define LaTeX macros, but the problem persists after I remove the script from my template. Note that the equation is rendered correctly in the Card Type window.

I have disabled all of my add-ons to make sure that they aren’t causing the problem.

Edit: This might have actually been related to the script I was using. It called MathJax.startup.getComponents(); several times. Changing the code to

if (typeof is_already_run == 'undefined') {
    is_already_run = true
    MathJax.startup.getComponents();
}

and reopening the card study window appears to fix the problem. I’ll create a new post if I see related problems again.