Anki 2.1.50 Beta 6+ / Release Candidate

What’s going to be the default PyQt version proposed to users on 2.1.50 ? PyQt6 ? Why offer PyQt5 at all in the release candidates if the goal is to upgrade ?

1 Like

Ideally we’d use a single version, but each toolkit upgrade tends to break some workflows, and Linux distros will be slow to support the new version, so we’ll need to support both in parallel for a while.

Edit: to answer your question, qt6 will become the old -standard, and qt5 the old -alternate

1 Like

Yes, I had a problem in the past with 2.1.49 starts on Windows, so I have made a change.

Like you said, I just removed the file and reinstalled the new RC 3 (qt6) and everything is working.

Thank you!!

This problem still exists in the 2.1.50 rc3 mac arm qt6 version

Since full screen mode is supported now in QT6 version, I’d suggest changing this message for something like this:
“This action is currently not supported with OpenGL. Try changing your video driver to “Software” in Preferences”

1 Like

No (screenshot is from RC2)

Just noted a new bug in RC3 on Linux (Ubuntu). The “Toggle Visual Editor” and “Toggle HTML Editor” functions do not seem to work in the browser (but they do work in the “Add” window). No matter if I invoke them by keyboard shortcuts or by clicking the icons in the top right of the text field, nothing happens.

As far as I can see, it only affects the Qt6 version of RC3. The Qt5 version doesn’t have the bug, nor does the RC2 Qt6.

Version information:

Anki 2.1.50 (c96ef8cd) Python 3.9.10 Qt 6.2.2 PyQt 6.2.2
    Platform: Linux
    Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=3 

EDIT: There’s a problem in RC3 Qt5 as well. It’ll collapse a field initially, but later the function stops working. If run from terminal, it gives this error when the function stops working:

JS error /_anki/js/browser_editor.js:100 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property 'toTextArea' of undefined

It would be nice if this message doesn’t appear on the first launch. New users may think there is a real bug.
Also, in my notebook, fullscreen doesn’t work properly. Qt6, windows.
Now, sometimes, when i launch anki, it doesn’t appear the review page. It seems to appear some seconds later.

Even after i’ve selected software driver, when anki launch, the message about opengl still reappears - and sometimes, anki doesn’t open after that :frowning:
Edit: Can’t use rc3 here, guys.

If I use the keyboard arrow keys to page down or page up, it works fine.

However, I’ve found that using the keyboard arrow keys to page down or page up stops working after pressing Esc.

This is considered a bug, so please test it.

@hanbin This is because the web view that you’re scrolling loses focus when you press escape. Clicking the web view will restore focus.

I’d say the main screens the main web view could capture arrow keys even when not in focus, where there’s no other possible reason to use the arrow keys? Although some people might use them to navigate the menubar or perhaps other things.

2.1.50 had an exceptional long beta period. Are there any obstacles left, explaining why a lot of add-ons aren’t updated?

1 Like

I’ve just noticed an issue with the browser on RC3. When I open the browser the fields that are shown when a card is selected do not update for the type of card selected e.g. when the card selected on open is a Chinese vocab card, and I then select a card from my data science deck, it will still show the fields from the Chinese vocal note type. The actual data shown is mostly that of the new card but also some of the first card sometimes. I’ve rolled back to RC2 and the issue doesn’t occur there that I can see. It also gives errors when I select a close type, warning that I’ve used a cloze on a non-cloze card, presumably because it has the note type wrong.

MacOS 12.3 (ARM)

Edit: I’m observing this on the latest commit when running from source.

Edit: The problem seems to have appeared in 0db921d

Ok, that was a bit of a false start :slight_smile: Thanks everyone for testing and picking up on these issues. I’ve just pushed out rc4:

https://betas.ankiweb.net/anki2.1.50.html#release-candidate-4

4 Likes

Add-on authors who don’t follow Anki’s development may not even be aware.

While there was a long testing period for this release, some parts of the code were still changing up until quite recently, and I imagine some add-on authors decided they’d rather wait until a stable release, so they didn’t potentially have to make changes more than once.

5 Likes

I don’t know if it’s an add-on bug, but Review Heatmat add-on works in QT5 version but not QT6.

@glutanimate is aware of the problem

2 Likes

works fine here :slight_smile:

The “Tickets” display window cannot be stretched.

That means it is open in a huge size !!

anki windows desktop bata 4 qt6

Do you mean RC4 rather than Beta 4?

What is the tickets windows? Do you mean tags?

indeed

No.
I mean the window where the “card’s” are edited