Anki 2.1.50 Beta 1 & 2

This is not related to 2.1.50, and I’m not sure if it’s a bug or normal behaviour, but since I’m using 2.1.50b2 now, here it goes: when using multined html Anki search and duplicate detection won’t detect duplicated cards, and the search command won’t detect multinçed text:
Truncated text

This is really a problem for my workflow, so any help / hint is greatly appreciated

Is it possible to create 2 seperate Add windows at the same time while creating cards?
Could you make this feature happen in a future release?
Thanks!!

Technically that’s indeed working as intended, as newline is its own (control) character, so the string with it does not match the other without.

Though an option that causes such control characters & their HTML counterparts to be ignored could indeed be useful. Would add a bit of computational overhead, however.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ve found a workaround that works for me, but yes (and sorry for the off-topic), such an option would be useful.

Just a minor / cosmethical observation: the zoom on the main window can be applied not only to cards (which is, of course great) but also to the upper and lower sections of the screen independently, which can produce kind of weird results, can be confusing for some users (who can inadvertently activate the zoom for those sections, causing the text to disappear), and is, IMO unnecessary (we have “user interface size” for that).

Zoom

2 Likes

Seems like Find & Replace does not set an undo point?

Does C-A-S-a actually open remove tags? I get add tags, same as without the alt key.

Works for me on the qt6 build.

It sets an undo entry according to my tests.

1 Like

Weird, I did a large amount of edits these past days and when I needed to undo it didn’t offer it. But now that I’m deliberately checking, it’s indeed setting it. Guess I’ll have to observe more in case it’s dependent on some conditions – like C-z now sometimes “bringing back” (the diffs of) changes done on other cards.

About the add/del tags shortcuts: I’m on QT6 & Linux, non-qwerty layout. I guess it’s influenced by Alt-Shift triggering a layout switch.

Acutally, in my first test, I also recall an undo entry not being set. But then I couldn’t reproduce the issue again and thought to myself maybe I just made a mistake like typing a search string that returned no results.

The line that surrounds a highlighted item is orange and white for me.

Anki (Sam - Anki) 2021 December 26 at 11.43AM

Anki (Sam - Anki) 2021 December 26 at 11.42AM

ARM MacBook running 12.1 and Anki Version ⁨2.1.50 (db804d95)⁩, Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.2.2 PyQt 6.2.2.

Minor cosmetic suggestion: Why not set :root { color-scheme: dark; } in the Stats window on nightmode?
This is how it looks for me on dark mode on Windows 11:
Screenshot 2021-12-26 150810

This is how it looks with :root { color-scheme: dark; }:
Screenshot 2021-12-26 151015
This also makes the scrollbars dark, which have been light until now, even when in dark mode.

Another suggestion would be to separate these two rows more distinctly. As you see in my screenshot, the bottom one’s rightmost radio box already touches the input of the top row. Also, the radio buttons, their labels and the search input are not really aligned. How about something like this:
Screenshot 2021-12-26 150714
(Please ignore the fact that all radio buttons are checked :p)

The first and second row are more clearly separated, and I can see at first sight that the radio buttons belong to two different groups. As a suggestion, I also added the “Scope” and “Time” labels.
I know this is extra-work and not really necessary, but I wanted to suggest it nevertheless. Happy holidays everyone.

Edit: A bug I found:
Steps to reproduce:

• Start Anki
  • Open Browser
  • Focus any card in the browser, click on Preview
  • Don’t close the Preview window, switch to the browser window again
  • Focus another card, click on Preview again
Anki 2.1.50 (43c41d76) Python 3.9.7 Qt 6.2.2 PyQt 6.2.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-12-26 15:17:51

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "aqt.progress", line 53, in handler
  File "aqt.browser.previewer", line 319, in _on_close
  File "aqt.browser.previewer", line 124, in _on_close
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'cleanup'

Check database did not help. Also, the platform in the error dialog says Windows 10, but I am on Windows 11.

5 Likes

The browser search seems to treat German umlaute (“äöü”) differently depending on casing. “Ü” finds 48 notes, “ü” finds 902 notes. “a” and “A” find the same amount of notes for me. I just noted it when searching for a note with the word “Überschrift” in it, i type “überschrift” and get no results, “Überschrift” however finds the note.

Also, another minor cosmetic issue, the scrollbar of the editor is white in night mode, in add, edit current, and browse window.

This is documented in the manual:

Standard searches are case insensitive for Latin characters - a-z will match A-Z, and vice versa. Other characters such as Cyrillic are case sensitive in a standard search, but can be made case insensitive by searching on a word boundary or regular expression (w:, re:).

This was fixed recently.

5 Likes

Didn’t know that, my bad, please disregard!

Nice!

I know they’re unsupported, but it would be great if the browser (& previewer) was set to not cache “external” script files (<script src="_foo.js"></script>).

Right now I need to exit Anki entirely for changes to one to become applied.

1 Like

This is tracked on Selectively enable pinch-to-zoom · Issue #985 · ankitects/anki · GitHub

When no changes are made, an undo entry is not created. If you can cause an undo entry not to be created when changes have been made, please let me know.

Good idea! The web toolkit didn’t support it when the code was originally written, so this won’t help the Qt 5 builds, but it does look better on Qt 6.

I prefer the spacing there, but am not sure about the different background - anyone else have thoughts?

Please let me know how you go with the latest git.

4 Likes

A couple of comments and suggestions.

• The copy notes feature is great! Would it be possible to add that option also to the “More” button on the review screen? Now, when you find a card that you want to make a modified copy of while reviewing, you have to go to Browser > Right buttoon > Notes > Create copy. I think having this command also directly in the review window would be really fast and useful.
  • Maybe the same can be said about the “Forget” command
  • I don’t know if it’s by design or not, but the copy notes command doesn’t copy flags.
  • Also, when copyng a note, the default target deck is not the original note’s deck, but the active deck. Maybe it’s also by design, but I find it kind of counterintuitive. In addition, I think most users will use this feature to create modied copies of their cards, and will want the copies to be created in the same deck as the original by default.

Makes sense. What would the shortcut be? Ctrl+A? (Edit: That’s a bad idea.)

Flags are associated with cards and consequently can’t be set in the Add (Notes) window.

Deck is a property of cards as well. I know that most users don’t have siblings scattered across different decks, and mentally associate a certain deck with each note. But that doesn’t properly reflect how Anki works.
Also, Create Copy doesn’t use the active deck, but the deck last used with the note’s notetype. This matches the behaviour of the Add window (when opened from scratch) with Change deck depending on note type set in the preferences.
That said, I see how using the deck of one of the note’s cards may be more useful and less surprising to the user. I’m not strictly against it, I just wanted to point out these considerations.

3 Likes