Anki 2.1.49 on chromebook 'Your Anki client does not support the new timezone handling yet. Please switch to the legacy handling in the computer version's Preferences screen.'

Wait, the package comes from the https://apps.ankiweb.net/
it’s the official Anki page.

How do you get to reply and keep my original text? I don’t see a button for that.

apt install package-x

means “download package-x from one of the repositories available to your system and install it”

Linux systems use package managers to install software and keep it up-to-date. They have an index of several repositories, where people like you and me - so called “packagers” - upload source code with build scripts. The package manager downloads the code and executes the build scripts, installing/uninstalling programs on your system.

One of these managers is APT, which you have used right now.

The installation guide you have found on ankiweb is meant for a manual installation, not with a package manager. Similarly to how you could download Android apps as APK files manually, which won’t update automatically, because you didn’t install them via Play Store (the “package manager”).

To quote someone, highlight the desired section of the post you want to quote and then hit “Quote” on the popup (or press Q).

This will append the quote to your current draft or create a new draft if you haven’t got one open.

ok Thy for the explanation.
But you always point me to ankidroid in the app store: the login screen freezes. I can’t type my email and password. I left a report.

That’s why I switched to installing the linux version Anki 2.1.49 on my chromebook. I have that now up and running but I get this other error “Your Anki client does not support the new timezone handling yet…” which prevents it from synching with my decks on Account Login - AnkiWeb

Frustrating :slight_smile:

Also, just as an aside, when you see multiple lines that you should type in the terminal, you are expected to run each line individually. Just copy each line to the terminal, press enter, and wait for the prompt to come back before inputting the next one. This is because, depending on what command you execute, and your shell, the following commands might get read by the program, and not by the shell…

1 Like

Thy.
I now have Anki up and running in linux on my chromebook but can’t get passed that error message ‘Your Anki client does not support the new timezone handling yet. Please switch to the legacy handling in the computer version’s Preferences screen.’
David replied in reddit that this latest version has this new timezone handling and advised me to talk to people running the same version on linux … but how do I find these people? Thy

Well, you found one (me), but I don’t have this issue, and I never had to manually configure anything…
Are you sure you are running the latest version of Anki?

You wouldn’t be seeing that message if you were running the latest Anki version - it means you are using an old version from a distro package. If you are unable to install 2.1.49 on your Chromebook (which may be the case if it’s an ARM device), then you’ll need to enable the legacy handling in AnkiDroid’s preferences.

Edit: you appear to have created two threads about this; I will merge this one in with the other one.

Hi Damien,
yes I’m new to linux/chromebook and used a wrong code and installed an older version.
Some others helped me out and now I have the version you mentioned and anki is up and running on this chromebook :slight_smile:
Thy

ok, after some google,

i found that i am out of luck.

arm chromebook wont be easy to use linux desktop anki.

that’s it, thanks

old below:
hi,
i am not novel to anki nor chromebook/linux.
i just got a lenovo duet 2020, which is arm chromebook.
i follow the link and see your link say that link is official package + x86 CPU. If arm cpu, pls use python wheel.
mine is arm cpu, is it that i cant install official package and could only use python wheel? thanks
obviously i dont want ankidroid, i want desktop linux anki. thx
ps; this is the 1st thread if someone search chromebook in ankiweb forum. i would suggest someone summaries it. this thread is too long. thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.