Anki 2.1.43 won't start under Ubuntu/Linux

Hiya

After upgrading to Anki 2.1.43, Anki refuses to start. I get this error message:

pinnerup@ergi:~/Indboks/anki-2.1.43-linux$ anki
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runanki.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "/home/dae/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyInstaller-4.0.dev0+g2886519-py3.8.egg/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 625, in exec_module
  File "aqt/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
  File "/home/dae/venv/lib/python3.8/site-packages/PyInstaller-4.0.dev0+g2886519-py3.8.egg/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 625, in exec_module
  File "anki/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "anki/collection.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "anki/_backend/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'rsbridge' from partially initialized module 'anki._backend' (most likely due to a circular import) (/usr/local/share/anki/bin/anki/_backend/__init__.pyc)
[31693] Failed to execute script runanki

I’m running Ubuntu 20.10.

Please try running uninstall.sh and then install.sh again

That doesn’t seem to make a difference:

pinnerup@ergi:~/Downloads/anki-2.1.43-linux$ sudo ./uninstall.sh 
Uninstall complete.
pinnerup@ergi:~/Downloads/anki-2.1.43-linux$ sudo ./install.sh 
'anki.1' -> '/usr/local/share/anki/anki.1'
'anki.desktop' -> '/usr/local/share/anki/anki.desktop'
[… lots of lines cut out here …]
'README' -> '/usr/local/share/anki/README'
'uninstall.sh' -> '/usr/local/share/anki/uninstall.sh'
Install complete. Type 'anki' to run.
pinnerup@ergi:~/Downloads/anki-2.1.43-linux$ anki
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "runanki.py", line 3, in <module>
  File "aqt/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
  File "anki/__init__.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "anki/collection.py", line 16, in <module>
  File "anki/_backend/__init__.py", line 18, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name 'rsbridge' from partially initialized module 'anki._backend' (most likely due to a circular import) (/usr/local/share/anki/bin/anki/_backend/__init__.pyc)
[105381] Failed to execute script runanki

Does that file exist? I’m wondering if you have an old file lying around, or whether it’s just a packaging artifact.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Nope, that file doesn’t exist.

I also tried removing /usr/local/share/anki entirely and re-installing, but that made no difference.

Hmm, not sure what is going on there, and I’d expect to see more reports if this was a widespread issue. Maybe see if the issue still exists when the next beta comes out?

Sure, no problem, I’ll wait and see. I plan to do a fresh format and reinstall to Ubuntu 21.04 when that comes out in a couple of weeks, and we’ll see if the problem persists under those conditions.

Anki 2.1.43 installs without problems on my fresh installation of Ubuntu 21.04 :slight_smile:

Not sure what the problem was, but glad to hear it’s gone away :slight_smile:

1 Like