Anki 2.1.41 Beta

This new update looks wonderful. I’m really happy to see that a lot of functions have been natively integrated in anki, as the addons incompatibilities were starting to were starting to become a pain to manage.
Since this is the direction that anki development is taking, I would like to try suggest the integration of these addons, that are both used a lot, easily breaked by every new update and life-savers (as i don’t know anyone who could stop using them after trying).

• Opening the same window multiple time → this is a life saver from the mytical arthur. i couldn’t even imagine my daily anki without it. and it’s used quite a lot, as it have 35 upvotes despite a single line description in ankiweb. unfortunately, i found out that it’s one of the most easily breaked addon and also often has problems with other addons; that said, i think it would be an incredible breakthrough if integrated. Also, from the same author this addon that is basically a component of the first one (and i never understood why it hasn’t been merged with the first one).
  • Frozen fields, that with 135 upvotes speaks for itself, but unfortunately suffered a lot of problems and incompatibilities, as it currently have 4 different versions on ankiweb.
  • multi-column note editor from arthur too, that with 34 upvotes may not be the most popular addon ever but it’s an absolute life-saver for those who use a lot of fields; as the other ones, is recurrently breaked by updates and other addons.

As always, these are just suggestions. Thank you for your hard work.

3 Likes

I recommend using Ze Frozen Fields, which is more stable since it doesn’t overwrite the Editor class and is maintained by a currently very active dev.

You could also try Collapsible Fields if you haven’t already.

The risk of these being broken on stable releases is very low as far as I can tell.
I for my part wouldn’t mind if those were natively integrated :wink:

1 Like

I already tried ze frozen fields, and it works fine. About the other two addons, they break with every new update (even though they keep getting fixed). What i’m trying to say isn’t that you can’t get everything to work together, because you certainly can, instead i’m trying to say that if those addons are used a lot, and don’t belong to any specific use but are potentially useful to any user, in my opinion it should be considered to integrate them. It would lead to less incompatibilities with other addons, update-breaking problems, and also, maybe the most important reason, it would benefit every anki user and not just advanced one who bother to search for them on ankiweb (as anki is already complicated for most users compared to duolinguo, memrise, ecc.). So i know that even though as aforementioned you can get everything to work, the percentage of users that have time and the abilities to do so is minimal, in the already small portion of users who uses addons.
I introduced anki to a few dozen people, and among these, those who bothered to use addons were only 3, but they gave up to a lot of useful addons when they updated because they kept getting errors…
For example the integration of hierachical tags is a huge step foreward and i’m really happy about it; so i though about suggesting these addons too, as the development started to move this way

1 Like

I would recommend opening a separate topic for that as it’s not relevant for the current beta. Then you can also ask the developers of those add-ons to chime in. They probably know best how feasible an integration would be.
Regarding the multi-window add-on, while certainly useful in some cases it doesn’t seem to be of use for the majority of users, but would merely be a complication for them. As can be seen from the reviews, there are also certain issues with it that are probably inherent to the functionality rather than caused by the implementation. That’s perfectly fine for an add-on where users deliberately choose to use it, but anything integrated directly in Anki has to adhere to higher standards of reliability and robustness.

6 Likes

There is a decent chance the frozen fields functionality will be integrated in the future. I don’t see the other two add-ons used as frequently, and as Rumo mentioned, the multiple windows one looks like it could potentially be introducing problems in some circumstances.

3 Likes

Pasted images which are larger than the field textarea behave different on .41 than before.
Before they were always fitting into the field, now they make it overflow horizontally again.
editor.css used to have

img { max-width: 90%; }

Maybe that is missing now?

1 Like

I’m noticing the image issue @prollo mentioned as well. I also noticed the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom is not in night mode while the rest is (the vericle scrollbar is still in nightmode)

@prollo @AnKingMed
What you mentioned is already fixed in the latest version on GitHub

1 Like

@hengiesel the light scrollbars can still be triggered by inserting something like <div style="width:2000px;"></div> into a field. Maybe users with large tables are at risk of hitting it?

Beta 4 is now available, and a stable release is tentatively planned for around 2 weeks from now.

Is it intentional that clicking ‘saved searches’ triggers its context menu? I usually double click the sidebar menu to open/close them, but the double clicking doesn’t work for ‘saved searches’ because of it.

In the current HEAD(c0b9285) of the repository, I’ve noticed a minor bug with “Add” cards dialog, where buttons at the right-top won’t be enabled the first time a field is focused after returning from a card layout window. It occurs both on Windows and on Linux(Ubuntu), and does not occur in 2.1.41 beta4.

How to reproduce the bug:

• Open “Add” dialog.
  • Click on Cards… to open the card layout window, and then close it.
  • Click on one of the fields before clicking elsewhere.

anki_add_dialog_issue

2 Likes

Navigating the sidebar by arrow keys does not change the library view, only clicking the sidebar entry or adding return to the arrow key navigation does.

Expected behaviour: The card listing is updated when a sidebar entry is selected by arrow keys.

macOS (10.15.7)
Anki:
Version ⁨2.1.41 (46e9720e)⁩
Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2

That’s intentional as searching cards is a potentially slow and expensive operation. I think it has always been that way, hasn’t it?

2 Likes
That’s intentional as searching cards is a potentially slow and expensive operation. 

The same operation is performed when someone clicks the tags.

where buttons at the right-top won’t be enabled the first time a field is focused after returning from a card layout window.

This doesn’t seem limited to your operation. The formatting buttons are often (not always) deactivated when browsing cards from their listing. Clicking into some card fields sometimes activates them (works not with every field of the same note), often nothing happens all.

Anki

(There seems to be no difference between the add-on Mini Format Pack enablend/disabled)

2 Likes

It looks like the bug you mentioned, which seems to be a bit different from the one I reported above, have already been fixed in the latest source code by this pull request.

2 Likes

Beta 5 is now available. The plan is to release it as stable in approximately a week if no issues are found.

@BlueGreenMagick it was intended, but has confused multiple users, so I’ve removed it.

@hengiesel I presume the issue @hkr reported can’t be easily fixed? Focus is preserved with alt+tab, so it only seems to be an issue when clicking into a non-field area while the window is not focused.

@ferophila yes, and you can hit enter to search, just as you can click on the mouse. If it searched every time you moved up or down one line, navigating multiple items would be a slow process.

The behavior of the deck hierarchy with regards to reviews that exceed the parent deck’s limit appears to have changed in the latest version. Maybe this is intentional, but I find it extremely confusing. In the following screenshot, the “Waiting” deck is set to 0 reviews, while the decks below it have (obviously) larger limits:

If I open up one of the subdecks and try to review, though, it says, “No cards are due yet.” I would expect that if cards are shown as due in the deck list, I would be able to study them if I go into the deck.

Thanks Soren, this should now be fixed in the latest git.