Allowing duplicates to be reviewed across multiple decks

Hi all,

I am a biblical scholar who studies ancient Greek and Hebrew.
I export the vocab from a software called accordance which allows me to import all the vocab from the bible or specific texts.

The problem is that I import all the Greek for a book (like John) and all the Greek for a different book (Like Romans) will obviously have a lot of duplicates. But the main problem is that I want to study the cards in one book and count that exact duplicate to be revised in another deck (In other words import a duplicate that keeps the status of the existing card and changes accordingly). Otherwise I waste a lot of time reviewing cards I already know and exist in other decks.

The best solution I could think of or find is to have a master gloss for words that appear above a certain frequency and only import the words for specific texts that are less frequent. But there are some issues with this still.

Any solutions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I want to see if I understand you correctly –
In the Romans set of cards, you want to have the same card you’ve studied already in the John set of cards, with the accumulated review history? So it wouldn’t be introduced as New, it would just be available as a Review card – but you’d only study it if it comes up as Due while you’re studying Romans?

I think you have understood correctly.

I wonder if that’s something that might be easier to achieve with tags instead of decks? Adding/Editing - Anki Manual

That card can only be in 1 deck, but it (really its note, because tags are at the note-level) can have as many tags as you want. You’re still going to have to find some way to eliminate the duplicates – automatic duplicate checking (Adding/Editing - Anki Manual) and Find Duplicates (Browsing - Anki Manual) should help with that – and that will give you a chance to add the appropriate tags. And then you can use them for Custom/Filter decks when they come up in the next book.

This process works but I am not sure if there is better,

1. Import all words and create dups in a “test deck”
  2. Tag all duplicates including the “All Vocab” deck.
  3. Delete duplicates of the “test deck” I just imported
  4. Select all dup tagged cards in the “All Vocab” deck and add new tag “e.g. Romans”
  5. Delete “dup” tag
  6. Create custom filter deck of “All vocab” with tag “Romans”.

Having multiple filtered decks with a filters such as “due” and a tag “Book name” that are able to be rebuilt will probably achieve the function I am looking for.

Also I am guessing I will need to rebuild the deck each time as the cards I learn go back to the original deck and do not appear back in the filtered deck even if they become “due”?

If that’s working for you, great.

That’s right, there’s no auto-rebuild (maybe an add-on would do that?). If the filtered deck is pulling cards that are Due, you’ll want to rebuild it daily before you study.

I’m not sure, but it sounds like you’re primarily studying one book at a time. In that case, another option is use “Change Deck” to pull all the “Romans” tagged cards together into your “active” deck for while you’re working through all the “Romans” vocab. That can be a “normal” deck and you won’t have to worry about rebuilding it.

Thank you for your help and guidance.

We do normally work one book at a time so changing the deck might be a worthwhile option. I do like the fact that filtered decks can be emptied and rebuilt anytime while changing decks requires you to browse and manually change the notes (But this is easy as well). Thank you for your help and helping me to understand how to use tags.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.