Adding {{tts}} field to card

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting the built-in tts functionality working in Anki. I’m not sure what exactly is the issue. Whenever I try to preview the card with tts, I am given this error:

Error
An error occurred. Please use Tools > Check Database to see if that fixes the problem.
If problems persist, please report the problem on our support site. Please copy and paste the information below into your report.
Anki 2.1.42 (8eebfe18) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-03-09 22:56:04

Caught exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “aqt\previewer.py”, line 277, in _on_next
File “aqt\previewer.py”, line 157, in render_card
File “aqt\previewer.py”, line 340, in _render_scheduled
File “aqt\previewer.py”, line 211, in _render_scheduled
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 152, in play_tags
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 203, in _play_next_if_idle
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 206, in _play
File “aqt\sound.py”, line 217, in _best_player_for_tag
File “aqt\tts.py”, line 107, in rank_for_tag
File “aqt\tts.py”, line 72, in voice_for_tag
File “aqt\tts.py”, line 68, in voices
File “aqt\tts.py”, line 486, in get_available_voices
File “aqt\tts.py”, line 491, in _voice_to_object
File “<COMObject >”, line 3, in GetAttribute
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, ‘Exception occurred.’, (0, None, None, None, 0, -2147200966), None)

I am currently running

Anki 2.1.42 (8eebfe18) Python 3.8.6 Qt 5.14.2 PyQt 5.14.2
Platform: Windows 10
Flags: frz=True ao=False sv=2
Add-ons, last update check: 2021-03-09 22:56:04

===Add-ons (active)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

===IDs of active AnkiWeb add-ons===

===Add-ons (inactive)===
(add-on provided name [Add-on folder, installed at, version, is config changed])

I have tried Tools > Check Database countless times. Also, I am having the issue of every sync having to be a forced sync as described in Every sync must be a forced sync except my deck tree is not arranged with parents and children. I am mentioning this because I feel that this might be related to my first issue.

Thank you for any help.

1 Like

Is your Windows fully up to date? Have you made sure some text to speech voices have been installed in the Windows settings? Does rebooting help?

Thanks for the help. My Windows isn’t fully up to date (working on this now); multiple text to speech voices are downloaded and functional (just not in Anki); I did reboot without updating to no avail.

Did you solve this? One user has the exact same error with my shared decks that use TTS.