Adding a widget for the iOS app

Hey, your app is great but sometimes I find it hard to practice daily.

The recent iOS release (14.0) shipped with widgets support on the Home Screen, and I wish that Anki will implement such a widget.

I’m thinking about displaying a card from a pre-selected deck, and it can be flipped from within the Lock Screen (without even entering the app).
This way the user can review cards “on the go”. But maybe someone here would come up with a better concept.

I will be glad to hear what do you think, and let me know if I can help in any way,
Thanks in advance!

7 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion, I will keep an eye on demand for such a feature.

1 Like

I believe this is not technically possible because the iOS 14 widgets don’t allow interaction. When you tap on a widget, it always has to launch the corresponding app.

I pondered the possibility of Anki widgets too, and the only use case I consider remotely useful is to have widgets displaying the statistic graph of a data point of choice. But even then, IMHO it’s not useful enough to justify the required effort to develop them.

1 Like

I could see a useful widget showing the number of cards due or something related to card stats, then have buttons or regions to tap to either go to a specific deck and also a way to jump to adding a card.

Widgets from Drafts illustrate this.

1 Like

Ohh, I agree those ideas could be very handy for users who use AnkiMobile heavily.

PS. For those unfamiliar with Drafts, here’s an example widget:

I made this account specifically for the widget function.
I recently started using the application "Readwise: and their widget function is AWESOME.
I never thought about a widget for anki until I saw that widget.
it shows my highlighted quotes regularly. and it feels sooooo good.
if anki can show a question from the due cards every hour or so, that would be super awesome

2 Likes

Hello, registered only to second this. It would be very useful to have available Anki widgets on iOS at least for showing daily statistics.

4 Likes

I came here with the same idea. The thing is that we all use smartphone a hundred time per day. Lock screen, home screen, widget area – these are things we see more often then our partner’s face. Even just previewing a static word and translation is already great help.

What’s for interaction issue it could be configurable: one field from the card front and one other field from card back. Even without flipping functionality is already significant help.

3 Likes

Hello. I registered here for supporting the idea. I’d really like to see an iOS widget of Anki, that would be very useful and motivating

2 Likes

I registered here to support this idea as well. It’d be super awesome if there is an iOS widget showing the heatmap of our study sessions.

3 Likes

Here to support this idea. Would love a simple widget that just shows
“New: 123” With the text in blue
“Learning: 45” With the text in red
“Due: 67” With the text in green
“Total: 235” Larger font and in black with white background (white with dark background for dark mode)

2 Likes

Thank you guys for supporting my feature request, but unfortunately it will remain as a request. We were just fooled to believe that a gazillion dollars app will care about users’ satisfaction.

We paid upfront and got what we paid for.
If this app was subscription based or free with ads, the owner would care about the retention rate and implemented this dumb widget in a minute.

Anki app is a burden to visit in the first place.
When I opened this thread in Oct’ 20 I honestly believed that a simple widget is what I’m missing to make me practice daily. And now, many months later, I’m not learning with Anki anymore.

What I did learn is to never pay for an app upfront.
Apps are a living product that needs support, and when we bought the app the deal was over and the product is final.
It’s a pricing model that only benefits the owner.

Take a look at the commit graph on Anki’s GitHub repo, especially the past two years:

To me, it’s really impressive how much Damien is doing for Anki on a daily basis and I think it’s unfair to judge his effort/care for the community on a single feature request that hasn’t come to fruition yet. I can imagine creating a useful widget for iOS is not as trivial as one would be tempted to think, since iOS is much more restrictive than Android.

Vague complaints like that don’t help, unfortunately. Instead you could tell us which aspects of the UI made you reconsider your initial sentiment.

4 Likes