Anki v2.1.54 (b6a7760c)
I encountered something that consistently crashes anki.exe. I understand it may not be easy to reproduce elsewhere, so I wonder if there’s anyway to share something like a verbose log / crash dump file.
This is how it happens on my PC:
- Go to Settings > Time & language > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings > Input language hot keys.
- Set a hotkey for switching to English.
(See screenshot for step 1 and 2)
- Open Anki, go to either Browse or Add, where I can edit texts of a card. When typing, press the hotkey to switch to English. (This is a hotkey I probably press hundreds of times per day, when I’m typing in all kinds of places)
- Anki will crash when the hotkey is pressed.
- The issue doesn’t appear when I first launch Anki after system boot (which means rebooting the computer fixes it temporarily), but it starts to appear after a while, or sometimes after a couple of days.
- Once the issues appears, relaunch Anki doesn’t fix it, whether it’s relaunch after a normal shutdown or relaunch after crash. It will always crash again every time the hotkey is pressed.
- I tried to close all other running software and test again, I also tried to restart Window Explorer, none helped. The only fix is a system restart.
- It only triggers when switching to English. The other 3 hotkeys in my screenshot doesn’t trigger it. Switch language with mouse also doesn’t trigger it.
- I only started to encounter this issue recently, but I haven’t updated Anki for a long time, so it may have to do with recent Win11 updates.