A consistent way to crash Anki on Win11

Win11 v21H2
Anki v⁨2.1.54 (b6a7760c)⁩

I encountered something that consistently crashes anki.exe. I understand it may not be easy to reproduce elsewhere, so I wonder if there’s anyway to share something like a verbose log / crash dump file.

This is how it happens on my PC:

1. Go to Settings > Time & language > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings > Input language hot keys.
  2. Set a hotkey for switching to English.
    (See screenshot for step 1 and 2)
  3. Open Anki, go to either Browse or Add, where I can edit texts of a card. When typing, press the hotkey to switch to English. (This is a hotkey I probably press hundreds of times per day, when I’m typing in all kinds of places)
  4. Anki will crash when the hotkey is pressed.

Some clarification:

1. The issue doesn’t appear when I first launch Anki after system boot (which means rebooting the computer fixes it temporarily), but it starts to appear after a while, or sometimes after a couple of days.
  2. Once the issues appears, relaunch Anki doesn’t fix it, whether it’s relaunch after a normal shutdown or relaunch after crash. It will always crash again every time the hotkey is pressed.
  3. I tried to close all other running software and test again, I also tried to restart Window Explorer, none helped. The only fix is a system restart.
  4. It only triggers when switching to English. The other 3 hotkeys in my screenshot doesn’t trigger it. Switch language with mouse also doesn’t trigger it.
  5. I only started to encounter this issue recently, but I haven’t updated Anki for a long time, so it may have to do with recent Win11 updates.

Could you replicate with the latest version 2.1.56?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, I just did the update, will test for a few days. If I don’t reply back then it means it’s fixed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.