I’ve been having this issue for 6 months now. I have reported it before, but didn’t provide enough info, and it was closed. This time I’ll try to better describe it.
Anki version: every version from v2.1.54 to v2.1.64, not sure about earlier versions.
Win11 version: 21H2 and 22H2, not sure about earlier versions.
Python 3.9.15 Qt 6.4.3 PyQt 6.4.0+
On my PC, I have a consistent way to crashes anki.exe. This is how it happens:
- Go to Settings > Time & language > Typing > Advanced keyboard settings > Input language hot keys.
- Config a hotkey for switching to English.
- Press the hotkey to switch to English when Anki is in focus. (I use this hotkey in all kinds of programs hundreds of times every day whenever I type)
- Anki will crash if the hotkey is pressed when any Anki window is in focus - Main window, Add, Browse, etc, with or without a blinking cursor.
(By “crash” I mean becomes frozen, unresponsive, need to force close)
Screenshot for step 1 and 2:
Screenshot for crash:
- It triggers no matter which key I config to be the hotkey.
- It only triggers when switching to English. The other 3 hotkeys shown in my screenshot doesn’t trigger it.
- It triggers even if I’m already in English mode, and press the hotkey to switch to English again.
- Switching language by clicking the language button in the system tray does not trigger it.
- It’s not immediately reproducible after system boot. It only happens after R hours after system boot, where R is random. I’ve tried to close all other programs to see if they could be the cause, but didn’t find any. I also tried restart Window Explorer which didn’t help. I think I have proof that other programs aren’t the cause, more on that later
What DOESN’T fix it:
So after system boot, from time to time I’ll be typing inside Anki and press the hotkey to switch input language. After R hours, I’ll trigger the first crash, then it becomes consistently reproducible, in that:
- After Anki crashes, if I force close it and relaunch it, it’ll 100% crash again if I press the hotkey again.
- If I force close it, relaunch, then close it again before pressing the hotkey, I can get a “normal shut down”. But that doesn’t prevent the issue on the next launch.
- After each force close, a
mpvprocess will be left behind. I don’t know what it is, but manually shutting down these
mpvprocesses don’t prevent the issue on the next launch.
What DOES fix it:
- As mentioned, it’s not immediately reproducible after system boot, so rebooting the system temporarily fixes it for R hours.
- If I re-run the installer, and the installer is a newer version, it will temporarily fix it for R hours, just like a system reboot. This kinda proves other programs are not the cause.
- If I re-run the installer, and the installer is the same version, it doesn’t help.
I understand it may not be easy to reproduce elsewhere, so I wonder if there’s anyway to share something like a verbose log / crash dump file.