Why does Anki display study time in months?

It says I studied 2.31 months. But a month has between 28 and 31 days. Why not minutes and hours? Or even days.

1 Like

The rationale is that a period like “8.2 months” is easier to understand as “8 and a bit months” than “245 days” or “5903 hours” is.

2 Likes

2.31 months ranges from 1552.32 hours to 1718.64 hours

but

70.33 days is always 1687.92 hours

days is easier to understand

Maybe something like XX days (~YY months) could work?

I see no reason why the user would need to consider that when answering the card. The times shown on the buttons are there to give you a quick idea of the approximate timeframe. They do not need such precision.

2 Likes

Oh, it’s for the buttons. I agree then. In fact, I would prefer if it’d be hidden by default. People tend to worry about time more than necessary, and I think if the user wants to know the time between reviewsz they can find the setting to show it.

Re-reading the original post, it looks like I was incorrectly assuming this was about the buttons, and not the message shown at the bottom of the deck list / top of the stats. I’m still not sure the precision is needed in such cases (what would you use it for?), but it’s perhaps not as clear-cut as the buttons case.

Oh, I was referring to the stats. Yeah, for buttons It doesn’t matter.

I agree when you first start out. But I think Anki’s algorithm starts to break down after several years of use. A difference of a month or a week is not so big. But when the difference of hitting either 2 or 3 means either seeing the card 1 year in the future or 3 years, that’s when seeing the button time matters.

For the stats could make sense to see the total time in hours, even in the thousands. Steam and other gaming sites display the time played in hours regardless of how high it goes. At least for me 2.8months is not that intuitive to compare as 2052h, as you have the days studied in days metric, which goes into the thousands anyways.

Here is an example from my secondary profile:

I acually made a simple add-on that displays the time in hours. https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1238121460

I don’t think this needs to be changed, as few users reach that amount of time.