Update FAQ "When problems occur"

maybe it would be useful to update the when problems occur FAQ, in particular the add-on section with parts of your answer from here about enabling/disbling half of the active add-ons a few times and disabling unneeded add-ons. I regularly get reports where people just list their 50+ add-ons …

Could you also change the last sentence in this section from

If the issue turns out to be an add-on, please disable the add-on and report the issue on the add-on’s download page.

into something that mentions the “Contact Author” button in the upper right of an ankiweb listing.

3 Likes

I think the mention to the “Contact author” button can be confusing, since it seems that this button is often missing:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/31746032

4 Likes

thanks for making this pull request. I’m not a native speaker so I don’t try to write official docs. The “contact author” was introduced and at the same time made obligatory for any new add-on or update for an existing add-on I think around the time this new forum was introduced (I think summer 2020).

Indeed old add-ons that are especially likely to break don’t have this button. Before the button was added many authors added a link to a github repo etc. I wonder if something like

“If the issue turns out to be an add-on, please disable the add-on [and restart Anki?] and report the issue to the add-on creator. Go to the add-on’s download page and check if there’s a “contact author” button in the upper right or check if there’s a support link or just leave a report there.”

People who report on the add-on page tend to leave negative reviews. That’s bad because you can’t really reply there and many never change their downvote. So I’d prefer to have people directed at other methods of reporting problems.

2 Likes

You can by the way reply to AnkiWeb reviews from this page: https://ankiweb.net/shared/mine

@abdo: thanks. I should have been more clear. I don’t get notifications (though it’s easy to see what’s on top of the shared list when you log in) and often my answer is something generic like “disable other add-ons and post the full error message” and then getting a reply and replying to it doesn’t work so it’s about udpating existing posts which tends to get confusing (imo).

1 Like