UI freezes when HTML editor is open

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if this intended. Regardless, I think that allowing (some) UI elements to update while the HTML editor is open would be useful. For instance, the preview. This would be particularly useful for things like GitHub - pointtonull/anki-external_editor: Simple substitution of built in html editor with external tool.

I would potentially be willing to implement this if someone would give me some pointers on how this could be done. Also, if I should make an issue on the repo instead, let me know.

For me only the editor freezes. Do you mean that?
I don’t know if it would be possible/desirable to have the GUI reflect edits in the HTML editor in realtime, but the current behaviour is definitely problematic:

1. If you change the search before closing the editor, you get an exception.
  2. If you change the active note, very strange things happen. Multiple dialogues opened and I even ended up with two previewers.

This would be fixed if the HTML editor was a modal window.

Ah, it seem that when using the GitHub - pointtonull/anki-external_editor: Simple substitution of built in html editor with external tool plugin the whole UI freezes instead of just the editor. When I disable this plugin I get the same results as you do.

Also, @hengiesel is currently doing an extensive overhaul of the editor and neither of the two bugs is reproducible on the latest branch. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes