Type in for both directions

Dear Anki-Community,

thanks for offering support here.
I read some instructions, watched several videos and tried out by myself but still couldn’t help to find to following feature:

• I wish to have a card design with is a type in card, that asks me in both directions. As far as I know I have to decide: I can either choose type in or easy for both directions.

If this feature already exists, there is an add on it would be great to let me know.

Thanks
Walter

Here’s how I would do it if I were, for example, creating cards to memorize capitals of countries.

1. From the main window, open Tools → Manage Note Types from the menus. The Note Types window will appear.

2. Click Add

3. Choose “Clone: Basic (type in the answer)” and click OK

4. Name the note type “Capitals of countries”

5. Click Close to close the Note Types window.

6. Click the Add button at the top of the main window. The Add window will appear.

7. Change the note type to “Capitals of countries”

8. Click the Cards… button. The Card Types window will appear.

9. Ensure that the Front Template radio button is selected. Paste the following contents into the text field below.

{{Front}} is the capital of

{{type:Back}}
  1. Click on the Back Template radio button, then paste the following contents into the text field.
{{Front}} is the capital of

<hr id=answer>

{{type:Back}}
  1. In the top right of the window, click Options then Add Card Type… from the drop-down menu.

2. In the Card Type drop-down, verify that Card 2 is selected. If not, click on the drop-down menu and select it.

3. Click on the Front Template radio button, then paste the following contents into the text field below.

What city is the capital of {{Back}}?

{{type:Front}}
  1. Click on the Back Template radio button, then paste the following contents into the text field.
What city is the capital of {{Back}}?

<hr id=answer>

{{type:Front}}
  1. Click the Save button to close the Card Types window. You should return to the Add window.
  2. Enter “Berlin” for the Front field.
  3. Enter “Germany” for the Back field.
  4. Click Add.

You should now have two cards to quiz you on knowing that Berlin is the capital of Germany. The cards will prompt you to type in the answer for the front item and the back item.

3 Likes

Dear Zrk,
thanks for your suggestion.
I’ll try that one.